Medicated Feed for Chicks

So not beyond 10 weeks is what I am getting, thanks much guys. I think I might need a little more feed then. The reason I ask is because the breeder I am getting my Polish chicks from highly recommended feeding medicated feed at the start. My layer breeds will probably be more hardy but I just want to make sure they will as a group get the best start in life and the least number of deaths since one half of my chicks are getting shipped to me and the other half are coming from local breeders and a little higher in price.

You've received some good information and opinions.
I wanted to mention grit that I forgot to include in my first post.
Years ago I didn't bother giving grit to chicks because I only fed starter feed and I figured the grains in it are already ground. However, when I started offering chick grit (#1 size), they seemed ravenous for it.
That size is only beneficial for the first 3 or 4 weeks because it is small enough that it will pass right through the gizzard without lodging there and aiding in grinding.
After that one should move to #2 grit till 7 weeks and then on to adult grit (#3). If you can't get all 3 sizes, adult grit can be used a little sooner since there are usually some smaller bits in it.
http://www.tccmaterials.com/product.cfm?id=605
It does help to develop the gizzard. I now sprinkle a bit on feed the first few days and thereafter, I offer it in a separate container.

A couple years ago, I sold some chicks to a local friend. She ended up getting more cocks than she wanted so I traded a pullet for it. When I butchered the cockerel at the same time as it's brothers from the same hatch that I raised, my birds' gizzards were almost twice the size of hers.

If one feeds anything besides feed, grit is essential - especially for grains/seeds and greens.

Last edited:
Medicated chick starter has amprolium, NOT an antibiotic, and is safe to feed. Not part of the new antibiotic restrictions for livestock feed and water, sold OTC. Some of us don't need to use it, and some will have chickens sicken and die without it. Mary

Ok, thanks.. As I said, I have followed the discussion in a homesteader site with half an ear as I don't feed any medicated feed to any of my livestock.. Wasn't sure if it mattered or not and now know it doesn't :)

You've received some good information and opinions.
I wanted to mention grit that I forgot to include in my first post.
Years ago I didn't bother giving grit to chicks because I only fed starter feed and I figured the grains in it are already ground. However, when I started offering chick grit (#1 size), they seemed ravenous for it.
That size is only beneficial for the first 3 or 4 weeks because it is small enough that it will pass right through the gizzard without lodging there and aiding in grinding.
After that one should move to #2 grit till 7 weeks and then on to adult grit (#3). If you can't get all 3 sizes, adult grit can be used a little sooner since there are usually some smaller bits in it.
http://www.tccmaterials.com/product.cfm?id=605
It does help to develop the gizzard. I now sprinkle a bit on feed the first few days and thereafter, I offer it in a separate container.

A couple years ago, I sold some chicks to a local friend. She ended up getting more cocks than she wanted so I traded a pullet for it. When I butchered the cockerel at the same time as it's brothers from the same hatch that I raised, my birds' gizzards were almost twice the size of hers.

If one feeds anything besides feed, grit is essential - especially for grains/seeds and greens.
I figured feeding grit earlier would be a good idea. I intend to start giving my chicks snacks as soon as possible. Looking into growing herbs they can eat and fresh veggies and fruit as soon as they can have it as well, also mealworms since I have them for my pet rats.

If my chicks are being vaccinated does the medicated feed affect them? I'm wondering if the chicks have been vaxed, which include live bacteria, does the medication reverse its effect?

Cocci are not bacteria. They are a parasitic protozoa. From Wikipedia: Coccidiosis is a parasitic disease of the intestinal tract of animals caused by coccidian protozoa. The disease spreads from one animal to another by contact with infected feces or ingestion of infected tissue. Diarrhea, which may become bloody in severe cases, is the primary symptom.

According to the literature, you should not give them medicated feed if you have them vaccinated.

They are being vaccinated for Marek's.

Marek's vaccine has nothing to do with coccidiosis, so it's okay to feed medicated feed. :)

Just to contribute to the original discussion, my girls are 21-24 weeks old and they're still on Nutrena 18% medicated starter/grower. Not ideal, but I'm pretty sure it's the only type my feed store carries besides layer. I haven't seen any ill effects, they are very healthy and I'll be switching to layer soon.

Back
Top Bottom