Medicated feed question

murphrandir

In the Brooder
Feb 16, 2023
I was discussing with somebody in a different chicken group about an issue I was having with one of my chickens that I believe to be due to molting… long story short, I have seven adult hens, who will be two in April. They were fed medicated chick starter until they were of laying age, and they have been on laying pellets until summer of this last year. We got new babies last year, and once everybody was integrated, I left medicated chick starter for them out as well, since I didn’t want the calcium to damage any of the young ones. I still have some babies that aren’t quite laying age, and therefore, I’m still feeding medicated feed. There is supplemental calcium available, and I know at this point it’s probably not preventing coccidiosis, but I’m just trying to get through the remaining bags I have. So my question is, is there enough amprolium in medicated feed to cause vitamin deficiencies in adult hen? They don’t get additional medication so I assumed the dose was small enough but I want to do right.

Agree with above.

But will add
I still have some babies that aren’t quite laying age, and therefore, I’m still feeding medicated feed
No need to feed it till laying. After a couple weeks on the soil/environment they will be living, the medicated should have done what it was meant to do. Of course don't waste feed, but there is no need to keep buying medicated.

Agree with above.

But will add

No need to feed it till laying. After a couple weeks on the soil/environment they will be living, the medicated should have done what it was meant to do. Of course don't waste feed, but there is no need to keep buying medicated.
Okay thank you! I still have a couple bags I need to use up but I plan on doing an all flock blend once they’re through. Medicated was just force of habit.

Back
Top Bottom