Coccidiosis is caused by microbes in your local soil. Marek's is a cancer-causing virus. A virus vaccination will no more help your chicks with coccid than a flu vaccination would protect you against a urinary tract infection.

I have never use medicated feed and have never had coccid. But if you wish to be cautious, I would get the medicated feed.

Good luck with your new peeps.

Welcome! Amprolium added to chick starter is meant to help them develop resistance to coccidia in a manageable way, rather than being overwhelmed by the parasite that might be in your soil. It's safest to feed it, because you won't know if this could be a problem at your coop. Many of us have learned that our ground is safe, and don't feed the medicated chick starter, but it's always a bit of a gamble.
Having a group of sick or dying chicks, because of coccidiosis, is a risk if conditions are right that year for an outbreak.
How risk adverse are you is the question here.
Mary

I have never used medicated feed.

Keep brooder clean and dry
Plenty of fresh water

I have read not to use medicated if you ferment the feed or have ducklings with your chicks. I read that in both cases it can cause an overdose. Ducklings eat more than chicks as they grow faster.

Oh but just in case. I do have Corid in my animal cupboard. (Stray kittens were brought to me years ago to treat) I never throw away medications or ointments ;)

Back
Top Bottom