Medicated Feed

Carlie59

Songster
Jan 14, 2020
Farmville, Va
Hey y’all! I started my chicks on medicated feed mostly out of fear and now that I’m out of that bag I’m thinking about switching to non medicated. Is this an ok switch or should I keep going with how i started them? The ladies are almost 2 weeks old and have had some dirt clumps and things from outside in the brooder box with them.

Attachments

• A59EAEE4-23B4-479D-BD56-834BAF377CED.jpeg
    A59EAEE4-23B4-479D-BD56-834BAF377CED.jpeg
    740.5 KB · Views: 16
Hey y’all! I started my chicks on medicated feed mostly out of fear and now that I’m out of that bag I’m thinking about switching to non medicated. Is this an ok switch or should I keep going with how i started them? The ladies are almost 2 weeks old and have had some dirt clumps and things from outside in the brooder box with them.
Nice brooder set up.
I would switch them over to Flock Raiser or equivalent and leave them on that for life. Put out a container or two of oyster shell at 15 weeks and they will have everything they need for when they start producing eggs.
As long as they've been exposed to the soil they will live on, that will help them build immunity to the coccidia oocysts in your environment. I would give them fresh clumps every couple of days to keep them exposed.
I would also have Corid in my emergency kit. Just in case.

Nice brooder set up.
I would switch them over to Flock Raiser or equivalent and leave them on that for life. Put out a container or two of oyster shell at 15 weeks and they will have everything they need for when they start producing eggs.
As long as they've been exposed to the soil they will live on, that will help them build immunity to the coccidia oocysts in your environment. I would give them fresh clumps every couple of days to keep them exposed.
I would also have Corid in my emergency kit. Just in case.
Ok thanks! So you’d pull ‘em off the chick feed already?

The coccidia infections can be both location and chicken genetics specific. I would continue with current switch of feed options being done or suggested and be ready to intervene quickly if a cocci infection strikes. If no infection causing issues, then you may not need medicated feed after all. If you switch stain / breed of chickens, then watch for signs of cocci related issues when rearing up new birds.

I have no cocci issues with my American Dominiques at my location, regardless if feed medicated or not. When I first started my American Games at this new location, then cocci was a major problem. After roughly 4 generations the American games are much more resistant although still not where the American Dominques are in terms of tolerance.

If cocci strike, use apply through drinking water and work to keep bedding dry, swap out feces contaminated water frequently, and be prepared to supply additional heat to even birds typically past need for heatlamps or equivalent. I have not used the broody box things at home yet.

I keep mine on medicated till 6 weeks . Coccidiosis is deadly. Can kill quickly too.
It certainly can be deadly. That's why everyone should have amprolium at the ready. But allowing young birds to build resistance to the strains of coccidia they will be exposed to is crucial.

Last edited:
I've personally never fed my chickens or chicks medicated food (or vaccinated) and have only once had a sick chicken out of almost 150 over the years (possibly egg yolk peritonitus). At least in my experience, if you keep things clean and practice good biosecurity, all should be fine, though there are of course exceptions. I also suppliment with garlic, immune boosting herbs and ACV.

I've personally never fed my chickens or chicks medicated food (or vaccinated) and have only once had a sick chicken out of almost 150 over the years (possibly egg yolk peritonitus). At least in my experience, if you keep things clean and practice good biosecurity, all should be fine, though there are of course exceptions. I also suppliment with garlic, immune boosting herbs and ACV.
I want to supplement with ACV too.. how much would you add to a little quart waterer? Also I wanna take them for a little romp outside today since it’s nice and warm... the ground is a little damp... will they be ok or should I wait for dry ground?

I never feed medicated feed. What I do feed is Nutrena Nature Wise chick starter. It has pre and probiotics and yeast so they have a healthy gut. I never have sick chicks. years ago I used to feed Purina chick starter medicated and I still lost chicks to cocci. I don’t treat mine with antibiotics or vaccines and my chickens are very strong hardy and healthy. Another thing I feed from day 1 is fermented oats it has probiotics and enzymes for gut health and it boosts the protien to 16 percent. I hen hatch and free range all my chickens.

Back
Top Bottom