Medicated feeds vs non medicated

dg14

Chirping
5 Years
Dec 1, 2014
How about yalls take on medicated feeds? for the first few months of my chicks life i fed them Dumor grower/chick starters. now im feeding them Purina start and grow medicated feed (was the only one available for younger chicks not positive how old they are if i had to say they're 4-4 1/2 months old. after this bags done i should start their layer feed which again here comes another question crumbles or pellets? ill mostly go for crumbles however i'm really skeptical because I've heard very much crossed reviews of corn i don't wanna feed them anything with corn in it :eek:

We hatch out chicks weekly and have been using Medicated for our chicks for about 8 years. . It's the only insurance that they will not get Cocci. It is only a preventive. It will not hurt the chicks. I keep all mine on it until they're about 3 months. It's not gonna add anything harmful in any way like some people make it out to be. I hatch n feed hundreds sometimes weekly and it's perfectly safe. Using the non medicated is ok if you can keep them from coming in contact with chick droppings. They pick in each others droppings and that's where they get the cocci. The first sign will be blood in their droppings. Once it starts it's very hard to stop. When raising chicksin a small confined space, it's a must have. It's better to be safe than sorry. After 3 months I start mixing it 1/2 with scratch grains, and at 4- 4 1/2 months I start replacing it with laying pellets and flock raiser. . The pellets have most of the same in it, plus layer. It's all good protein. Good luck!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom