Medicated or non-medicated feeds for my baby chicks from a local feed store?

Curious1234

Chirping
7 Years
May 14, 2012
I was told that the medicated is not necessary.Also that it might even be bad for them... but I don't want my baby chicks to get sick! :( Also, I sometimes let them loose on dry dirt (not soil)...in the backyard... the chicks are approx 1 week old... these are my first chickens and I am just nervous for their health.

I've never given my chicks medicated feed and they were fine.

I am feeding non medicated as well. From what I understand, if they are given non medicated, their immune systems build up by themselves making stronger chickens.

Despite what all of the folklore says medicated feed is NOT bad for your chicks.

If you use good management and keep their water clean, and their bedding clean AND DRY you can probably get by with using non-medicated feed. But if you're new to brooding chicks it's an extra form of insurance to help protect your chicks from coccidiosis - which is the only thing the medication is for - in addition to good management practices.

Once you get some experience and are confident in your chick brooding abilities then use it or don't use it as you please. For newcomers I think it's a good thing. Coccidiosis can do lasting damage to birds if not recognized early on for what it is. Much better to prevent it from happening to begin with.

I err on the side of caution and give them medicated for the first two weeks (or when the bag runs out). I figured an ounce of prevention etc etc, It's not going to hurt them anymore than you taking some penicillin when you're ill. And if you're putting them out already on soil you may be exposing them to more than you realize. Just my thoughts?!!

If you have chicks getting sick find the underlying cause. I don't medicate anything, I give new chicks and broody a saucer full of dirt as soon as they are off the nest. I want to know who is healthy and who is not before they join the flock. Medicated feed is a waste of money and a hindrance to nature. I hate it when people gripe after seeing the doctor when they are sick, saying I didn't even get a RX!!! Taking medication doesn't weaken your immune system, it hinders it's ability to develop, and it allows germs to mutate into stronger germs that are medication resistant.
Chickens are sure one tough bird, look how well they do, until we interfere.

If you have chicks getting sick find the underlying cause. I don't medicate anything, I give new chicks and broody a saucer full of dirt as soon as they are off the nest. I want to know who is healthy and who is not before they join the flock. Medicated feed is a waste of money and a hindrance to nature. I hate it when people gripe after seeing the doctor when they are sick, saying I didn't even get a RX!!! Taking medication doesn't weaken your immune system, it hinders it's ability to develop, and it allows germs to mutate into stronger germs that are medication resistant. Chickens are sure one tough bird, look how well they do, until we interfere.
This makes a lot of sense and came at a good time- I just ran out of my second bag of medicated feed but have reg. starter on hand. Thanks.

I started mine on non medicated then switched when all I could find was the medicated. I was also told you want to take them off the medicated about a month before they start laying. The reason being you shouldn't eat the eggs if they have recently eaten the medicated food.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom