Medicated Starter, what will happen!?

Robbo

Songster
6 Years
Mar 20, 2013
Idaho
Okay, bit of a panic here...

I have chicks and ducklings. I started out with a big bag of unmedicated feed. Then I saw my feed store have a chick starter in bulk that was SO much cheaper in bulk than buying it in a bag. So I bought it... it said nothing about medicated or unmedicated so I thought *nothing* of it. It just hit me today.... (2 weeks of feeding it) so I called them and it is medicated, they just don't have that on the sign!!!

The one duckling has been on it the full 2 weeks... what is going to happen? He has seemed fine... perfectly healthy little bugger...

Last edited:
Okay, bit of a panic here...

I have chicks and ducklings. I started out with a big bag of unmediated feed. Then I saw my feed store have a chick starter in bulk that was SO much cheaper in bulk than buying it in a bag. So I bought it... it said nothing about medicated or unmediated so I thought *nothing* of it. It just hit me today.... (2 weeks of feeding it) so I called them and it is medicated, they just don't have that on the sign!!!

The one duckling has been on it the full 2 weeks... what is going to happen? He has seemed fine... perfectly healthy little bugger...
NOTHING he is fine and will be fine! The medication is to prevent them from getting sick. The unmediated feed is made for purest that want to go ONATURAL!

As I understand it, most medicated chick starters nowadays are medicated with amprolium, which is perfectly safe for ducklings. The harmful medications/chemicals that used to be in medicated chick feed are no longer used, but the old hype of "Medicated chick feed will kill my ducks!" is still circulating. I wouldn't be too worried for your babies.
Having said that, I still use nonmedicated for mine just to air on the side of caution.

Last edited:
As already said, you should be safe. The medicated feeds normally do not harm ducklings (with the new form of medicating) but it unneccessary for ducklings. It is not neccessarily for people that want to go "ONATURAL" but those who want to give their chicks a little extra boost in dealing with parisites and diseases that ducklings are not nearly as succeptable to. Don't panic. :) One thing to keep in mind is that ducklings often need more niacin supplemented in their food or water when on chick starter. If you start seeing weak legs, supplement 100-150mg niacin (plain, NOT no flush or Time release) in their water, or a teaspoon or so of brewers yeast in their food.

From the sounds of it, your little ones are doing just fine! :)

Back
Top Bottom