Medicated vs Non medicated or both??

ElaynasChick

Songster
Sep 30, 2019
Washington
Hello! i am new to chickens i have never had chickens but i have done my research! i was having a hard time deciding medicated vs non medicated chick starter. (i ordered my chicks to be vaccinated for Marek's disease, but there was no vaccine option for coccidiosis) so i thought why not buy both so i bought both thinking i would feed medicated until i finish that 5lb bag than switch to non medicated, does that sound good or should i stick to just one?? i am using Purina Non medicated and Purina Medicated. i do not have a tractor supply anywhere near my (kinda sucks) so i am limited to wilco, and wilco only has purina.

Use the medicated until it is finished, Then go with the non-medicated. By then your chicks may have developed their immunity to cocci.
The brand Purina is just fine. :thumbsup I know that there are peeps with an opinion about every feed out there. Some positive, and some negative. I am a Realist,,,, and my opinion is,,,,,,,, If a product is bad,,, then peeps do not buy it,,,, therefore it is removed from the market.
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and :welcome

There's also drops for the waterer if you decide you want to medicate longer... Depending on how many chicks and how much feed you bought, I suppose... I think it's 2 weeks of medication that's recommended... Correct me if I'm wrong.

There's also drops for the waterer if you decide you want to medicate longer... Depending on how many chicks and how much feed you bought, I suppose... I think it's 2 weeks of medication that's recommended... Correct me if I'm wrong.
The product that goes in their water is called Corid. It’s a treatment for coccidiosis, not a preventative like the medicated feed is. It’s very useful to have on hand though, as coccidiosis can take chicks down fast.

To the original post: your plan sounds just fine! The only major difference in medicated feed is the presence of a low dose of amprolium (the same drug that’s in Corid). This drug works by inhibiting thiamine production in the chicken, which is what the coccidia Protozoa feeds on. It’s not guaranteed to stop them from getting coccidiosis, but it helps.
Don’t overthink it too much. :) Purina is a great food and many people never deal with coccidia in their birds.

I use the medicated purine feed haven’t had any issues with it. Chicks have done great on it. I give it to them (and have available until they join the flock). Then it’s separate but still there while they adjust to the feed the rest eat.

Back
Top Bottom