Meds Calculator

abpatchy

Free Ranging
11 Years
May 1, 2012
Germany
Hi guys...
I breed for show. So I have several stalls with different weight animals. Recently they needed medication that needed to be administered by weight. Keeping track of amount and how much meds go where was difficult. Did I calculate correctly?? So my hubby wrote a program for me. He put it online free for everyone to use. So If you care to have a look... try it out... let me know what you think... any kind of feedback. And use it if you have to, I would appreciate it!

meds calculator

That is pretty cool, thanks for the tag! For a test I used Baytril at 20 mg/kg for a 1 kg bird, but it does not tell me how much medication to use.
2020-08-05 09_36_37-Animal Medication Dosage Calculator.png

I think two variables are missing.
Is it a pill or is it liquid. If pill, how many mg are in the pill? If liquid, how many mg per ml is the liquid?

Something like Baytril comes in many pill sizes and many liquid concentrations. Examples:
  • 22.7 mg pill
  • 50 mg pill
  • 68 mg pill
  • 136 mg pill
  • 22.7 mg/ml liquid
  • 25 mg/ml liquid
  • 50 mg/ml liquid
  • 100 mg/ml liquid

Thanks @casportpony ... I have circled the totals on your chart. Stall 1 you have one bird at 1kg... which gives you a 20mg medication... also a total of 20mg at the bottom. That number would be different if you had more stalls... it will give you a total per stall... and a total of medication overall at the bottom. Does that make sense?
1596645935799.png

You have the option of changing mg, g, oz, ml and cups... there is a drop down menu to change things... the dosage is usally given on the package... The pills give you a mg dosage as well.. just put that info in...
It's good you bring that up.. I have not heard of pills for chickens over here. Meds just come in powder or liquid. How do you deal with pills? Like what do you do when you need less than a pill for your chickens?

It does make perfect sense, but it does not tell me how many ml's of a medication I would need. If I were using 100 mg/ml Baytril the dose needed is 0.2 ml, but if using the 22.7 mg/ml stuff the dose needed would be 0.88ml.

I see what you are trying to say. Have you tried changing the drop down menu to ml then? Also in case you have not noticed the mouse overs for expanations.

When I calculate these are the formulas I use:
  • Liquid - weigh of flock or bird in kg's, times dose in mg/kg, divide by # of mg/ml of product = the total number of mls needed.
  • Pills - weigh of flock or bird in kg's, times dose in mg/kg, divide by # of mg of pilll = the total number of pills needed.
  • Powder - weigh of flock or bird in kg's, times dose in mg/kg, divide by # of mg per gram = total number of grams needed.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom