Meds for ducks

darharris

In the Brooder
Jul 28, 2023
Ohio
I'm looking for a list of your "must haves" for taking care of ducks. You know the stuff you wanna have on hand for those just in case times. My vet does not treat ducks and the nearest that does is 1.5 hours away. So, I'd like to know what I should have on hand. Even your non medicine remedies would be good.

One of the biggest things to remember is that ducks need extra niacin (a type of vitamin b) in their diet in order to grow and function properly. I didn’t know that at first and it was a huge mistake. I like to add nutritional yeast on top of their feed and it works nicely, since normal duck feed rarely has enough. I also like to keep the injectable vitamin b on hand that’s labeled for cattle but can be given in small amount orally in duck deficiencies and emergencies. I also always have a first aid kit full of all sorts of things like vet wrap, blue kite, vetericyn spray, antibiotic cream, gauze, saline solution, tweezers, a scalpel, and more (but that’s for my chickens and ducks). I also always keep a few extra dog kennels on hand for separating a bird if nessesary for many reasons. Also always have access to swimming water and deep pans of water for cleaning themselves and preening etc. I also always keep the crazy k duck boots on hand since I’ve fought bumblefoot a lot with my ducks. I’m writing this quickly so I hope I didn’t miss anything but it Hope this helps

all the stuff @picklestheduck said and also calcium gluconate, nutradrench, povidine iodine, epsom salt poultice, a tube feeding kit, (&baby bird food) various sizes syringes and needles, electrolytes, probiotics, preparation H, a few kinds of bird antibiotics, plus abunch of other stuff thats more for the chickens

hey i wanna get booties! amazon or where?
One of the biggest things to remember is that ducks need extra niacin (a type of vitamin b) in their diet in order to grow and function properly. I didn’t know that at first and it was a huge mistake. I like to add nutritional yeast on top of their feed and it works nicely, since normal duck feed rarely has enough. I also like to keep the injectable vitamin b on hand that’s labeled for cattle but can be given in small amount orally in duck deficiencies and emergencies. I also always have a first aid kit full of all sorts of things like vet wrap, blue kite, vetericyn spray, antibiotic cream, gauze, saline solution, tweezers, a scalpel, and more (but that’s for my chickens and ducks). I also always keep a few extra dog kennels on hand for separating a bird if nessesary for many reasons. Also always have access to swimming water and deep pans of water for cleaning themselves and preening etc. I also always keep the crazy k duck boots on hand since I’ve fought bumblefoot a lot with my ducks. I’m writing this quickly so I hope I didn’t miss anything but it Hope this helps

oh yes also vetercyn eye ointment but I realize for someone who is close to a tractor supply or other farm type store you probably don't need to have all these things on hand some of them you could just buy if and when you need it like the eye ointment but definitely have the saline at your house

Back
Top Bottom