Meds to have on hand...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by matthewschickens, May 30, 2010.

1. What meds should I keep on hand for chicks and chickens?

Thanks!

Matthew

Last edited: May 30, 2010
  2. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    i didnt keep anyting onhand till i needed it. I did not want to waste money stocking up on meds that could/would expire before i needed them.

My bottle of tetracycline just cost me $41.95.. that would be a shame if i bought it when i didnt need to and it expired.

3. kindir

kindir Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2009
    Connecticut
    I don't keep meds on hand, but I do keep Stress Eez. It's just extra vitamins and minerals for chickens when their immune systems are down. There are other brands that do the same thing, but that's what my local co-op carried and it's worked for me.

4. Thanks!

Well like Growgel.. How long does that stuff last? Can you use it for big girls?

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

The only antibiotic I have is injectible penicillin for treating a bad injury or a reproductive infection(no need for respiratory meds because I would cull for that). I have antibiotic ointment, also for wounds. Really, those are about the only actual medications I would have. Terramycin is too weak to treat much of anything so I don't keep that here.

6. eenie114

eenie114 Completly Hopeless

I have heard about using colloidial silver for coccidiosis in chicks. Never gotten a chance to try it yet though, thankfully!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by