Meet Fizz! (Gold Silkie Pullet)

Do chickens actually try to walk forward when on a leash? I wouldn't mind trying to walk mine someday, but I don't know how it works? I feel like they'd want to just peck around at the dirt and not actually go forward in a straight line.

Well mine have learned that when they are on the leash, they get treats (mealworms) as a reward. So all my Silkies stand great to let me put the harness on, they know it's s good thing.

I've never tried it on my other Chicken breeds though but I don't generally need to use it on them. All my chickens are free range but when I'm preparing a bird of a show, they have to be housed in smaller rabbit hutches to get into nicer condition. This means they can't free range during that time so the leash allows me to let them out but not get dirty or get mounted by the male.

When walking Chickens, it's usually the case of the chicken walks you. You follow the chicken :lau

I have seen some that walk like a dog on a leash but some just go where they want to investigate things.

However, I'd say it's worth you giving it a go. A leash also comes in handy if you have to treat chickens when you are working by yourself. It's also fun too!

Some chickens will accept it, some won't but just remember to give treats when they first use it! :D

She is absolutely adorable. I have 5 Silkies in my family room right now, but am re-homing 3 as they are all whites. I'm going to replace with other colors.

Oh wow! Bet they're adorable too.

The whites can look a tad boring and can be hard to see the difference at times :lau

I do also prefer to have a colour varied flock!​

Oh wow! Bet they're adorable too.

The whites can look a tad boring and can be hard to see the difference at times :lau

I do also prefer to have a colour varied flock!​
Yes, I have ended up with 3 different sizes actually and have noticed comb differences along with individual bird differences. I'm excited to get new colors, but have to wait till the 3 go to their new home and my batch of under 2 week olds get bigger lol.

Back
Top Bottom