Meet Horton, our newest edition! (NEW PICS! Pg. 3 Post #22)

shelleyd2008

the bird is the word
11 Years
Sep 14, 2008
Adair Co., KY
PICT0072.jpg

PICT0073.jpg

My son named him, because he just got the "Horton hears a Who" book, by Dr. Seuss. This little guy is a 3-week-old, pot-bellied pig. He is such a ham
lol.png
He was striking a pose already!!

Anyone else have pot-bellies??

Last edited:
Is he a pet, or being raised for meat? I've only ever heard of potbellies as pets, but they do get so big . . . . guessing you might not have let the little 'un name him if the frying pan is in his future?

OMG !! He's soooo adorable....Love the name!!!
I really would like to get a pot Belly Pig....Noooow!!
How hard are they to look after?....What kind of shelter would they need? are they winter hardy?...and what would a Pot belly eat?......I need all the information so I can sweet talk my hubby !!

Quote:
From what I've heard, they can get pretty big, depending on how you feed them. There have been some that I've heard of that got up to 300 lbs., but yes he is just a pet. But then, my sister-in-law had one that was smaller than her cats!

Quote:
I have never had one before, but a friend of mine used to raise them, and they lived outside in a regular hog house, albeit smaller
big_smile.png
We have some pretty chilly weather here. In the coldest months, it usually stays in the 20's and 30's, with some dips lower occasionally.

They would eat just about anything, just like any other pig, but the more protein they get, the bigger they get. You can get them to stay pretty small, but you have to practically starve them to stunt their growth.

As far as shelter, this one is going to live in the 'bunny section' of the barn, so he can clean up the hay that the silly bunnies drop on the floor. Right now he is in a large dog cage, also in the barn, with lots of warm straw to burrow into.

They really are just a smaller version of a big hog, so anything you would do for a regular hog would be good for these as well.

Some people, including my sister-in-law, litter-box train them, and keep them in their homes!! Don't think I will go that far, but you never know!!
smile.png

Yes i have heard about them living inside ....OMG My husband would flip !!! hahaha!!! His "Hog" has to stay in the garage.....whine whine.....so my hog would have to have a shelter outside....but it would be really cool to have a piggie inside....

Quote:
I have heard that they are not as messy as most other house pets, but I don't think this one will come in. Idk though, maybe some day, we'll see!

Back
Top Bottom