Meet My Chickens (all named after My Little Ponies)

sayga

Songster
8 Years
Mar 31, 2013
Portland, Oregon
Hi! I'm Sayga and I'm new to chicken-owning. Years ago, I told my sister (who wasn't a veterinarian then but is now) that I wanted chickens, but I couldn't have them because of my HOA (home owners association). She started to look up about owning chickens because she thought it was a bad idea, but then discovered LOTS of people do it. So she got chickens. We visited her chickens every time we came to visit her, and I became more and more convinced I wanted some too. We moved to Oregon, and into our new house, last year, and this spring we got 10 chicks. Two just went to my friends in town who were looking for 2 new good egg layers (I chose them a buff orpington and a black sex link), and the other 8 we are keeping. It'll be 7 after we deal with our one rooster, though.

So, here are our chickens. They were hatched mid-March and are about 14 weeks old now.

Fluttershy. She is a Salmon Favorelle and is very LOUD. She will yell if you try to pick her up (she's been that way since she was a baby) but she still wants to be near us. So she's a "look but don't touch" chicken. She is beautiful and her leg feathers are coming in nicely.

Apple Jack, a Rhode Island Red. She is pretty standoffish. I hope she's a good layer. She looks awfully scruffy in this picture. She used to be the biggest and top of the pecking order. Then the others caught up and she had to settle into the middle class. I think she's still ****** about that.

Rarity, a Delaware. She is my favorite and the tamest chicken we have. I love her to pieces. When she was first learning to free range, she'd come sit on my trowel as I was digging up weeds so she could have first access to the worms. She was so fast, she'd see and eat a worm before I even noticed it.

Twilight, an Ameraucana or an Easter-egger. She liked to sit on my shoulder when she was little, but thankfully she outgrew that.

Rainbow Dash, another Ameraucana or Easter-egger (I didn't know there were differences and I didn't clarify when I bought the day-old chicks, so I don't know which they are). Rainbow Dash stayed TINY for a long time. We thought she was going to be a runt who didn't make it. Finally, when the rest of the chicks were fully feathered, she started to grow a tail and lose her down. She looked like a 4 week old chick at 8 weeks. She has caught up to the others now and is a normal size. Amazing.

Spike, a golden-laced Polish. The Polish chicks were straight run (un sexed) so we got 3, figuring at least one will be a female. She had tons of head fluff as a chick and I thought she was going to be a rooster, so we named her Spike, preparing our kids for the eventuality of having to rehome (or eat) her. But she's a she, so we will keep her. And the name Spike fits her so well, she's keeping it!

Pinky Pie, another golden-laced Polish. She was the runt when we first got our chicks and has seemed to have balance or dizziness problems since we got her. She still lays down to eat and gets tired easily, but she is coping fine and doesn't get picked on by the others.

And finally, Princess Celestia, who is almost certainly a rooster. Those brown pointy head feathers just came in and opened up a week or two ago. I haven't heard a crow yet (they are about 14 weeks). We will attempt to rehome him, but if no one wants a nice rooster, we will eat him when he begins crowing. That makes me sad. My husband is a country boy and it's all part of life for him (raising meat animals, hunting, etc), but we never ate meat that didn't come from the grocery store as a kid so it's new to me.

And here is our run and coop. They free range most of the day, but they have a small run for mornings before I let them out. Sometimes I find them resting in there in mid-afternoon, so I know they like it and feel safe there.

Last edited:
Beautiful birds! :)

Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us!
LL

Back
Top Bottom