Meet my flock :]

Some of my ladies have passed away recently which is a shame, (RIP Coffee and Cute Eyes, too young) but there were some additions while they were still alive. One of them being Silkis, a Lavender Orpington/Barred Holland cross. She’s incredibly curious and has the funniest little chortles. Bit of a beggar as well

Attachments

• 1F9867EA-3F5A-4542-9AB0-1BF4917B789B.jpeg
    1F9867EA-3F5A-4542-9AB0-1BF4917B789B.jpeg
    415.9 KB · Views: 1
  • 6DD9A639-973F-4173-8C5A-084CAFB59C6E.jpeg
    6DD9A639-973F-4173-8C5A-084CAFB59C6E.jpeg
    435.5 KB · Views: 1
Hi there! I thought it would be fun to do an introduction thread on my flock of chickens. I only have 9 but they’re all very important to me.
First off is Dawn:View attachment 2430222
She’s an 8 year old Mille Fleur D’uccle mix. Rather snappy but still a wonderful bird. She’s the leader of the pecking order, and rightfully so. Before our current flock, we had one flock that was sadly wiped out between two animal attacks. Dawn was the sole survivor. Our assumption is that she flew through the roof, because we found her in the morning sitting up in the treetops. Poor gal has a lot of trauma but she’s still spunky and proud.
Next is Barb.
View attachment 2430231Barb is a blind Barred Holland (though she can see partially out of her left eye.) She’s dorky, slow, and a bit dumb. But she’s also sweet, gentle, and loves to be cuddled. Despite her slowness, the other chickens rarely take advantage of her. I feel like they know she can’t see and so they don’t give her as hard of a time LOL. She has her spunk, though. I often see her arguing with the Faverolles for food.
View attachment 2430240This is Mario (not my name choice, I probably would have named her something more elegant but she was named by my 11 year old brother, as my mom was the one who made the “who names who” decisions.) She’s a slightly crazed Brabanter and used to have bad feather damage on her neck. She looked naked. But lately her feathers have grown back and she’s looking very beautiful! I got her the same time as I got Barb, and they often hang out with each other. Her head feathers aren’t as pronounced as a usual Brabanter’s are. I’m not sure why, but she’s still beautiful and can be cuddly if she’s in the right mood.
View attachment 2430250Sorry for the blurry picture of this one lol. This is Coffee, my (apparent, after a suggestion from black_cat) Easter Egger. She’s big, quiet, and brooding (pun intended, but she actually lays quite often for her age.) She’s a bit pompous, but not super aggressive. She’s second below Dawn in our pecking order, as evident by the fact that they’re both first to get the best bugs in our yard. She also takes dust baths very often with our Australorp, Brokenbeak, who grew up with her.
View attachment 2430255This is Brokenbeak. I feel like her name is a bit shameful, but it’s very describing of her appearance LOL. She’s still beautiful, despite her awkward beak. She’s very calm and sweet, loves taking dust baths with Coffee. I need to get video sometime of them swishing all the dirt around together! She and her sister like to sleep backwards in her lay box also. Not very productive for either of them.View attachment 2430262
Cute Eyes is also an Australorp, she’s from the same mother as Brokenbeak. She’s much more active though, and less cuddly. I don’t mind that she’s more flighty, though. It just means she’s cautious. She often has this distant gaze on her face, which I find amusing.
View attachment 2430269Lastly is my lovely Faverolles. I got them in April of this year and they are a joy. From left to right, Cake, Brigitte and Chisa. Cake is very vocal and loves to grab my hair. Brigitte is the fluffiest and calmer than the other two. Chisa is sort of distant but still spends a lot of time with the other two. This is an older picture of them, they have much bigger combs now so I don’t just have their markings to physically distinguish them from each other.
I hope you enjoyed all my pictures and chickens. Have a lovely day! :p
Aww, your chickens are so cute! The salmon faverolles look so comfortable in their little snuggle pile. Brokenbeak is adorable, I have a special place in my heart for the wonky chooks (Hence my avatar, her name is Thin Mint and she is the sassiest lead hen. She has plenty of personality!)

Some of my ladies have passed away recently which is a shame, (RIP Coffee and Cute Eyes, too young) but there were some additions while they were still alive. One of them being Silkis, a Lavender Orpington/Barred Holland cross. She’s incredibly curious and has the funniest little chortles. Bit of a beggar as well
I'm so sorry for your losses! I'm sure they had a wonderful time with you. Your new chicken is so pretty! I love the tipped hackle feathers on her neck.

I'm so sorry for your losses! I'm sure they had a wonderful time with you. Your new chicken is so pretty! I love the tipped hackle feathers on her neck.
Thank you so much for your condolences, they’re really appreciated. Current ladies are doing alright and Dawn’s birthday is soon in April, she’ll be 10 :]] (and right!? Her feathers are so interesting)

Thin Mint is adorable by the way. She looks very friendly <3

Back
Top Bottom