Meet my Muscovy duckling, Aspen.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by cassurina, Jan 11, 2013.

1. cassurina

cassurina New Egg

Jan 11, 2013
    Townsville, Australia
    Hi all, I would like to introduce to you my now 15 days old Muscovy duckling Aspen. I have owned a mallard, and plenty chickens of all breeds before, but I was just wondering what to expect with this breed. So far he/she is into "biting" which might actually be "exploring" and runs as fast as he/she can everywhere. I'm definitely in love. Do any Muscovy owners also have dogs, and do your animals cohabit well? I've always had dogs and chickens in the same yard and I'm hoping Aspen will also be just part of the family.
    Any tips/comments are welcome.
    P.s I can't upload pics from my iPhone to this post, but feel free to visit my profile and have a look at pictures.

2. Cluckette

Cluckette Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2009
    Stapleton, AL
    My muscovy, Quackers, was the sweetest and most social duck I've had. She would run to greet me as I got out of my car from work everyday and she would follow me around wanting to be petted. She did become "broody" like she had PMS once she started laying some eggs....even though they were not fertilized. She would sit on those sterile eggs for weeks. I finally had to destroy them and make her go back to doing what ducks do. She disappered one day about 3 months ago which has broke my heart...I miss her so much. Think maybe coyotes or bobcat got her. She would fly out of the 6 ft high fence pen and land at my car door. Silly wonderful duck.

3. Duck Love07 AR

Duck Love07 AR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2013
    Trumann Arkansas
    I have three Muscovies and they are very friendly birds, well like Cluckette said until they go to laying and then they are wonderful mothers. my girls are about to lay and they get very mean and bit alot. you just have to hold their bill and tell them not to stop that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by