Meet my new chickens!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by MustLoveHens, Oct 29, 2010.

1. MustLoveHens

MustLoveHens Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2010
    Albion, Wisconsin
    Well, this is what happened when I went to a ABA sanctioned show a couple of weeks ago. I was not going to get any chickens until spring. In spring I am going to get Orloffs again, so I was trying to be very very good!! Anyway, stupid me walks by the sale area and sees a beautiful Barred Rock pullet for sale for the astronomical price of 4 bucks. Yep $4.00. So I say "well gee for four bucks you cant go wrong and I'd be stupid not to get her!" So with this in mind, I go and get my hubby to show him the little hen. He says, "Well, since you really want to do this, I'd rather get a trio." "A trio!" said I. I was shocked! I thought he'd be like NO Chickens period! We are not ready for them yet and winter/snow will be here before you know it.
    So then he points to a trip of light cornish. (I liked the dark cornish trio, but hey! Im not one to look a gift trio in the beak!) So, then we proceed to find the owner of said trio and purchase said trio for $25 bucks. The gentleman who owned them has been breeding cornish for over 40 years and had a boat load in the show. He was trying to cut down his stock before winter.
    So, anywhoo, I was still in, love with the little Barrdie, so I conned my hubby into letting me get her. This was not a problem once he saw her price tag! Even he saw the logic in that!!
    So, we brought home our new feathered kids and I now have chickens for the first time in over three almost four years. While I was not looking for bantams or cornish or barred rocks, these little guys sure are adorable. I have to say that I might just add some more bantam barrdies to my spring flock! I almost forgot just how much I love the barries!
    It took me a week or so to name them, and after research on place of origin and dates of breed origin, I finally named my little guys. My hubby named the Cornish roo Edgar. He was going to be named Edgar wether I liked it or not, so it's a good thing I like the named Edgar. The Cornsih pullets are Emma and Violet. The Barrdie pullet I named Lavinia.
    Sooo, with out further ado here are the pics!

Lavinia:

[​IMG]

Emma:

[​IMG]

Violet:

[​IMG]

Edgar:
    [​IMG]

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Ohhhhh, aren't they just too adorable for words????

BANTAM Barred Rocks??? Wow... I'm gonna have to look for THOSE now, too!

I love my LF BR, Betsy.

And that's a great story, how you managed to come home with them, too!! Thanks for sharing it!

3. Firearia

Firearia Chillin' With My Peeps

Very beautiful new girls, and boy! Congratulations on getting them, now no more chickens until spring! Just kidding, I've been telling myself that as well. [​IMG]

4. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

[​IMG] Wow, nice birds!

5. marytoast

marytoast Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    Carthage, NC
    Pretty girls!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by