member in vermont,with questions on a rooster

jbutton

Hatching
5 Years
Oct 10, 2014
Hello, I have 11 hens and 1 rooster. As of late I have noticed that the rooster is mounting them and I have a few that are losing feathers on the backs right next to their tail . Looks like the rooster maybe removing them when he is on them. Does this sound right. Thanks in advance

:frow welcome to BYC !!

Yes those are his favorites and he is mounting them too much. You can separate him or make aprons for the hens.

How many hens do you have? Roosters can handle 10 hens, any less and they tend to get overbred to the point of damage. There are vendors on the BYC Buy,sell,trade, forum that includes "everthing else for sale" including hen aprons, diapers etc. I believe you can even download a pattern for making them yourself, on BYC.

If you have no need for fertile eggs to hatch or sell, you don't even need a rooster at all Hens will be less stressed and continue to lay eggs without him - though they will not be fertile.

Got 11 hens and I am thinking of getting rid of him. We bought them from a friend last late fall. And he got them in the early fall

Back
Top Bottom