Members that make Maple syrup....

Can't wait for the sap to start flowing (it's been/is a horrible winter).

I started really small last year, experimented with a few things to see what worked and what was the cheapest. I had no problem collecting sap, my boiling system needed some improvement.

What I did for tapping trees that was extremely efficient and CHEAP was to use 1/2" (inside diameter of line) PEX plumbing nipples. They're basically a 2" long piece of black hard plastic with a collar in the middle and 2 ribs on each nipple. Find them in the plumbing section of your HW store. The ends are chamfered so they tap easily into 3/8" holes drilled about 1" deep. I attached a short piece of PEX tubing run into a 2 gal ziplock bag pinned to the bark with pushpins. Worked well until a couple 65 degree days and a rain broke the frost and opened the floodgates, then the bags occasionally overfilled and fell down. This year I'm switching to direct drain to 5 gal buckets when the flow gets heavy. Price per tree was about $1 or 2 on the larger trees I double tapped with a 3-way tee and 2 pieces of pex line. I was able to remove almost all the "taps" intact with a vise grips. Only wrecked a couple beyond repair.

I was tapping a mix of Silver Maple and Boxelder and got aprox 40:1 yield with delicious syrup so you don't need sugar maples! All my trees were growing in relatively open areas and were quite branchy. I think that helps. Now I can't wait to try out my new craigslist $25 leaky old woodstove converted to hold 2 full size SS steam table trays in direct contact with the fire. We'll get 'er cookin' this year for sure! I also glommed onto some SS 3/8" food grade tubing from a local bar so I may experiment with a worm preheated fill through the flue pipe this year too. We'll see how advanced I feel like getting.

You can use a homemade "stove" and kettle. Last year I used 12X4X16" solid concrete block to construct a "stove" over a trench crossed with rebar pieces to form a grate with free air flow underneath. I used a large canning pot for a boiler. It burned a lot of wood and I drank a lot of beer tending the fire constantly. Wasn't very efficient but it made syrup. I was able to easily make a gallon in a weekend (and drink 2 gallons of beer). I found it best to finish the syrup in a smaller pot on a camp stove. Pull it off the main fire when it gets a bit "oily" looking and the boil starts looking "angry." We strained ours through boiled floursack towels. Ended up with a small amount of cloudy material in the bottom of each jar but removed the niter, debris and didn't affect flavor. Filtered very easily.

Last edited:
We tapped 7 of our trees this weekend... but only 1 is barely dripping - in about 24 hours we got around 1/4 cup. However our weather is supposed to be up in the 40s a couple of times this week.. so here's to hoping that it starts flowing this week.

Well, this past weekend we tried our first attempt at maple syrup making!!! Had pancakes and fresh syrup for supper!!
big_smile.png
We went ahead an set up in the 3 sided lean-to of the barn with an Ashley wood stove. We took the top grate off and put the pans directly on the fire box. We were burning ash wood so it was very hot. It took us a long time and a lot of wood, (15 hrs) to get 2 qts of syrup. We emptied the 13 taps to boil, on saturday about 3:30 pm. Since that time, we have collected about 13 gallons. We are keeping it cold until thursday, our next opportunity to boil. A friend of ours is going to lend us his stainless steele 2' x 2' evaporator pan. We will build a concrete block fire pit and cook over open flame this time and see if it goes faster. We had fun! Grandbabies came out in the afternoon and helped us empty taps. They took home a pint of the first of the maple syrup! YUM!

If ya have any spare syrup sitting around, would love some homemade Maple syrup. Course I could swap ya some Pine sap syrup but ya probably wouldn't talk to me anymore.

Thanks S/F

Just finishing off our first small run tonight. Stupid cold weather is keeping the sap in the roots. New boiler is working very well. I highly recommend steam table trays (found for under $20 with cover brand new). Makes a relatively shallow with great surface area vessel for evaporating. Easy to use on stove top.

Working on the peeps myself. Clearing a place under big live oak for the Hen Clucking Gathering then will place run for 25-50 feet to include the garden. Plan on moving them around to spread the litter while they cluck, gossip and pick bugs. Had chickens when growing up as a kid. All we had to live on in the south but we made it. Sure is nice to see a big yellow yoke standing tall in the white. Then ya know ya go a good egg. Found a place, Farmers Market, where they will give me scraps, overripened fruit, and damaged leave off collards and greens. Chickens will love me forever.

Sure hope the syrup turns out as expected.

For the time and effort that goes into it, at my current production capacity it is currently strictly a VIP gift item the little bit I can afford to give away. Shipping it would be a bear too. We put it up in glass Ball Jars that aren't really designed to survive UPS.

I would look up Andersons Maple Syrup. They are a small family run company in WI that makes a quality product harvested sustainably. I prefer their dark grade. It is less expensive and more flavorful.

We tap our maple trees every year..... On a small scale.... Usually get a quart a year. Definitely steams up the house in the process!!

Back
Top Bottom