Membrane covered chick pipped 14 hours ago with no progress

Awwww.. I'm really sorry :( I know it's hard. I assisted a little one out of it's egg and today I'm still looking after her, she can't be bred and can't stay with other chicks because she had a lame foot and everyone picked on her --- she was very slow developing and now is over 2 months old but looks only 1 month old.
If I hadn't helped her out of her shell, she may have died, but she wouldn't be existing all alone right now ... I love her dearly but she takes up soooo much of my time. Others have suggested I cull her but I just can't ... she's now super tame but essentially lives alone and thinks I'm her mama! Honestly it's hard to know what to do at the time, but it's likely good for that 1 to have passed ---- maybe God will give that little soul another chance to pip again with another egg... lol... I dunno.. I don't believe in reincarnation but this is an animal after all!

I'm sorry the chick didn't make it, but you did the right thing. One thing, though. Never, never do a float test on an egg that you think might have a live chick in it. That's a great way to kill the chick. Candling is a much better way to see if the chick inside is still alive.
Either I'm super daft, or something is wrong with my eyes b/c I find it very hard to see anything thru quail eggs outside of the air cell 🤓

I'm sorry the chick didn't make it, but you did the right thing. One thing, though. Never, never do a float test on an egg that you think might have a live chick in it. That's a great way to kill the chick. Candling is a much better way to see if the chick inside is still alive.
Oh, really? I didn’t know that lol. Luckily I only float tested the dead egg, not the one that supposedly is alive. Thanks for telling me though

Next time, if it hasn't hatched in about 6-8 hours, you need to assist as they get dried out and can't get out, therefore it will always die. If you assist, there is a likely hood it will survive. Some come out with curved feet, but you can massage them into good feet. We have had a few with a wonky neck and massaged them too.....most survive and thrive. But leaving them they won't.

Next time, if it hasn't hatched in about 6-8 hours, you need to assist as they get dried out and can't get out, therefore it will always die. If you assist, there is a likely hood it will survive. Some come out with curved feet, but you can massage them into good feet. We have had a few with a wonky neck and massaged them too.....most survive and thrive. But leaving them they won't.
Personally when I did what you're suggesting, i killed a perfectly healthy chick that ihadn't yet absorbed it's blood vessels. Had i waited it would have gotten out on it's own. Membrane doesn't always dry out ... actually it's never happened with my eggs and some take 12-24hrs after pip.

That said, its up to the individual. This is an area of some disagreement amongst hatchers and always has been.

Usually when I help a chick out, I pinch the air sac to check for blood vessels. You have to make sure they absorbed their blood from the veins before continuing. It is usually a broader vein with a bright red color when it's not ready. If the blood is absorbed, I would assume the yolk is absorbed as well which further advance won't cause problems assuming it's a healthy chick.

Personally when I did what you're suggesting, i killed a perfectly healthy chick that ihadn't yet absorbed it's blood vessels. Had i waited it would have gotten out on it's own. Membrane doesn't always dry out ... actually it's never happened with my eggs and some take 12-24hrs after pip.

That said, its up to the individual. This is an area of some disagreement amongst hatchers and always has been.
Haahaa yeah I guess it would be. For us, if we leave them they die. We rescue more by helping.

Back
Top Bottom