Meniere's disease

denim deb

Chirping
9 Years
Sep 15, 2010
I was trying to find a post that I had made so I typed Meniere's into the search since I had mentioned that in my post. I was a bit surprised to see several threads come up! So, now I'm curious. Who else on here suffers from Meniere's? How bad is yours, and what do you do to try and control it?

For me, I've had this for over 20 years now. I try to watch what I eat and drink. Salt and caffeinated coffee and soda are big no-nos for me. (This year I learned that, unlike other root beers, Barq's have caffeine in it! And, I couldn't figure out why I kept getting vertigo attacks.
he.gif
) I use an electric chain saw since a gas one bothers me. The smell of diesel and boat motors also bother me, as does cigarette smoke. And, I go to the allergist every month for shots since my allergies can also trigger an attack. Changes in weather can also be a factor, but I have yet to find a way to control the weather.

When I'm bad, I do nothing. But, when it's under control, I ride both a motorcycle and a horse (but not at the same time!) I go canoeing. I even used to do karate, though they pretty much let me slide on doing any spinning kicks.

My husband has had it for about 30 years. Has had a couple of surgeries, they finally cut the nerve bundle in his right side. He's managing well, at least the falling to the ground unable to walk part seems to have waned. He still has the tinnitus, some days worse than others.
Slinky

My aunt has had it for as long as I can remember. I remember being over there to play with my cousins and sometimes she would have to go lie down in total darkness and not move or she would vomit and not stop. I think she finally started medication and its more under control now.

Back
Top Bottom