Mental Health Thread

Hear hear! Mental health is so important and overlooked; it's so easy to swing in either direction of the pendulum for self care. Asking for help and support is spooky but needed, and progress is never linear with these kinds of things.

I have really bad anxiety - at my worst a few months ago, I couldn't even drive my car to the grocery store without hyperventilating! It took a ton of work and a lot of asking for help to recover from it and I'm still not 100% some days and that's ok.
Thank you for sharing! I battle the grocery store trips as well! Somehow, I find trips to get chicken and animal food easier than going into stores to get people food/supplies, so I asked for help to manage the rest. And, I think that's ok.

Thank you for bringing this to the forum! Raising chickens has also had a very positive impact on my life and the lives of my children. It is truly a therapeutic experience for me, my partner, and our children on many levels! After many years of battling various aspects of mental health, I would say that the current greatest help of having chickens including a rooster and ducks is how it starts my morning. I get up in the morning every morning, which is a big deal in itself, and I get up without anxiety, which allows me to not go back to bed but rather go to work! I get out in the fresh air, I care for them, and then directly after that, I care for myself, taking my medicine, making breakfast. Then, I care for my children. I even get up early so that there is time for me/this. Because I get up early, I put myself to bed earlier, and make sure I get sleep. As an insomniac and a night owl, this helps keeps certain negative mental health tendencies at bay most of the time, despite me sometimes wanting to stay up all night anyway. In the mornings where my kids aren't getting up for school, I sometimes even throw in a walk, to my dog's delight, which was unthinkable even 3 or 4 years ago! I have a chronic digestive disorder, and this routine with nature and animals who seem to give more back than I put in has changed and enhanced my life and lightened my burden on many levels.

When my children are overwhelmed with something, they will go out into the yard and "be with the chickens". Watching them go around the yard, talking to the birds, caring for them, worrying about them, is incredible. They often watch the sunset with chickens in their arms, and I've been brought a chicken (to my desk, to the couch...) if my kids notice I'm sad or upset about something. My partner is severely depressed, which is a challenge for him and for all of us. He finds great solace in being with the birds, and it is truly something to collaborate on and bond over, to help bring us together when we might prefer to stay apart! People who come by to visit, love to sit in the calm and whimsy of chickens and ducks, often shocked about holding a chicken or observing them. Helping others also helps me. I am so grateful and blessed to have this in my life! And I hope I can support anyone who needs to talk about the joys (as that is also mental health!) of life, the difficulties, the challenges, as well as the lack of optimism and joy that sometimes visits us all, for shorter or longer terms. I hope no one will feel embarrassed or judged! :frow
This is so true. Tending to my ladies is a great time to be at peace, and I feel more useful in that little stretch of morning time than I will over the next 8 hours at work.

Regarding you and your partners' digestive and anxiety issues, I've struggled mightily with both, so I get you. I found that eliminating carbs (i.e. keto) is absolutely the best thing I've ever done in my life. (Thus the reason I have chickens. I eat a lot of eggs!) Burning fat for fuel (ketosis) got me off the insulin roller coaster, so my whole world is infinitely smoother. I've eliminated my chronic coughing, chronic heartburn (I've gotten off 5 meds) I have greater mental clarity and energy, and least important of all, I've lost 55 pounds. (I was never morbidly obese. I went from the classic fat-man 235 pounds to my high-school weight of 180. I am 6'-2") Believe me I am not in this for weight loss, and will NEVER go back to carbs. Specifically regarding digestive issues, I started replacing carbs with veggies, and while everything above my intestines (mental aspects, aforementioned heartburn and coughing, etc) vastly improved... the veggies just hurt. And that's when I went about 95% carnivore. I recommend these(Audible) books, in this order: "Grain Brain" "Keto Clarity" "The Plant Paradox" and "The Carnivore Code" If you do nothing else, read/listen to Grain Brain. I truly hope this helps. :)

This is so true. Tending to my ladies is a great time to be at peace, and I feel more useful in that little stretch of morning time than I will over the next 8 hours at work.

Regarding you and your partners' digestive and anxiety issues, I've struggled mightily with both, so I get you. I found that eliminating carbs (i.e. keto) is absolutely the best thing I've ever done in my life. (Thus the reason I have chickens. I eat a lot of eggs!) Burning fat for fuel (ketosis) got me off the insulin roller coaster, so my whole world is infinitely smoother. I've eliminated my chronic coughing, chronic heartburn (I've gotten off 5 meds) I have greater mental clarity and energy, and least important of all, I've lost 55 pounds. (I was never morbidly obese. I went from the classic fat-man 235 pounds to my high-school weight of 180. I am 6'-2") Believe me I am not in this for weight loss, and will NEVER go back to carbs. Specifically regarding digestive issues, I started replacing carbs with veggies, and while everything above my intestines (mental aspects, aforementioned heartburn and coughing, etc) vastly improved... the veggies just hurt. And that's when I went about 95% carnivore. I recommend these(Audible) books, in this order: "Grain Brain" "Keto Clarity" "The Plant Paradox" and "The Carnivore Code" If you do nothing else, read/listen to Grain Brain. I truly hope this helps. :)
Wow, thanks for these recommendations. I think enjoying an audiobook of Grain Brain when I'm walking the dog past wheat fields can't hurt. ;) A few years back, I also found that a keto diet changed my life for the better! Luckily I was never in the insulin roller coaster but I'm proud of anyone who can get off of it. It bodes well for your survival and lifespan not to mention quality of life. Congratulations!

My partner tried the keto thing 2 years ago, and somehow with his medication, it got really whacky. He had to stop after 1 month. He started it to get more energy, not to lose weight, as he is not overweight at all. I remember having a lot of energy and dancing again and being generally rather active. Sadly, it didn't work for him. However, I think I did initially do it for weight loss. Then, after a bad foot break and some health issues that were exacerbated by traveling, I began dipping into the carb world again...gaining 12 kg in a year, and for various reasons becoming somewhat sedentary. My physical therapist said to modify my diet but every time I went back to Keto, I had enormous pain. I suspect that this has to do with my change in medication and overall wellness since last doing it. I decided to first become more active, and since doing that I'm noticing improvements, even in anxiety. Then recently, like 2 weeks ago!, I decided to go after my nutrition again. One reason is just that I noticed I gained even more weight, like 8 kg more, despite the increased activity. And also, my bloodwork was bad and I should get some infusions in the hospital. I want to know I did everything possible to contribute to my health with nutrition and leading an active lifestyle so that the treatments are as effective as possible. When I commented on this weight gain and my urgency to return to a diet plan that worked for me without pain, the doctor said we will discuss my return to the 90% carnivore diet (so funny as we have such similar wording!) after we see how the infusions go. The weight gain might not be from my nutrition, he claims, and he doesn't want to change any more variables in the mean time. I guess my case is weird enough! I never knew doing the diet could be negative but it does have a great impact on your body, so for now, I trust him, as he has been right about different things before. The trainer is helping me eradicate some unhealthy habits that I collected during those two dark years...and I am slowly adding more veggies anyway. I just made my own roast beef last week! Amazing! I hope that I can go back to the diet that worked for me so well in the past, especially because it promotes so many healthy veggies and I have a fantastic source of organic eggs every day! Luckily, since being more active, I don't really crave pastas or many empty carbs anymore, and it is currently difficult for me to eat the prescribed 150 g of carbs (!!!) that my nutrition app claims I should be eating. So that is something that has stuck with me, despite going off the diet. My trainer says it's not necessary to eat those and we are focused on mainly just knowing what im eating and eating healthy proteins, fats, and increasing veggies. Once you're off the carb addiction, I find it really is easy to stick to, and in any case, it impacts your life long term.

Someone just laid an egg! Gotta go! Thanks for sharing!

I am so comforted by the existence of this thread! I think I am gonna pluck along on the laptop keyboard, next week and share my own heartbreaking/heartwarming chicken/mental health story with ya’ll!

Back
Top Bottom