Mentor, OH - want to raise chickens! Who's with me?

If put to a vote, would you vote to allow a maximum of 3 laying hens per half acre?

• No way!

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Yes, and please sell fresh eggs to your neighbors!

Votes: 9 69.2%
  • Hens ONLY but NO ROOSTERS

Votes: 3 23.1%

• Total voters
I am not sure why, but the poll listed will not let me vote!
I don't know that I would subscribe to a limit as that leads to discrimination regarding lot size. Like the current two acre limit.
You should be able to have what you can properly care for.
We should all have the opportunity to be treated equally.
Now I have to go and figure out why I am already not allowed a vote :)

Fixed it?:weee

Last edited:
I live in Mentor, Ohio and my kids REALLY want to raise chickens. However, when I called the city they informed me that we are not zoned for chickens. I want to change this but I have absolutely no idea how to go about it. We have plenty of land and plenty of room for at LEAST 3 chickens (I could understand the 'no rooster' policy). Does anyone know how to start the process?

I just noticed the date on your post! Weird as the first thing I did when I got on here was looked for you, and nothing. Over a month later and you popped right up!
If you are still around and looking to change the laws I would love to chat chicken...

Thanks,

Meg

So I am relatively new to Mentor (about 2 years) but we have been researching backyard chickens for quite some time! I realize this post is almost 2 years old and the most recent reply is about a year old, but just wondering if you guys were still around- and if you have had any luck yet?! I recently reached out to my councilman, but have not really heard much back.......

[COLOR=008000]So I am relatively new to Mentor (about 2 years) but we have been researching backyard chickens for quite some time! I realize this post is almost 2 years old and the most recent reply is about a year old, but just wondering if you guys were still around- and if you have had any luck yet?! I recently reached out to my councilman, but have not really heard much back.......[/COLOR] 

Hi there! Glad you arrived! Lol. I have NOT gotten anywhere as I still need to start lol!
Hoping to get something going.
Excited that you beat my procrastinating self to reaching out to a councilman! Please keep me in your loop. I need a match under my backside! Lol.

I contacted the City to dispute the 2 acre minimum for having chickens. Many of our neighboring cities allow chickens and do not have a lot size requirement. I have family in Wickliffe and if you're familiar with the area you know the lots are very small, for the most part. When i contacted the city, I just asked them what we needed to do to change the city ordinance to allow for chickens. They forwarded over my email to their attorney. His reply to me was extremely rude and pompas. He never provided an explanation or a hint at what could be done. He replied "obey the lay or we will prosecute you just like we are doing to other people who cannot obey it". He acted like I was some kind of criminal just because I wanted the opportunity to raise a couple chickens. What a jerk!!!

My backyard is fenced in and 185 by 100 with a huge open field behind it. I have plenty of room for a coop and it would be the required 75 feet away from my neighbors. Who would like to go to one of the city council meetings to see if we can change this ordinance?

I live in Mentor as well and would love to get the law changed! That being said I have cool neighbors that are fine with me having 3 chickens. What the city can"t see won't hurt them.

Did you ever get anywhere with this? I live in Eastlake and have the same issue, according to our ordinances district S-5 can "raise domestic animals (such as fowl) on lots over 10 acres", I am in district R-60 and the ordinances for my district say nothing at all about raising fowl. When I contacted the mayor and the building departments before I went any further and built a coop they were rude as could be, the building department person that left a voice mail was literally yelling that he told me before I couldn't have chickens, it was the first time I had even asked anyone. Anyway, one of my neighbors had a councilman over last night due to an issue weve been having with a party house that some kids are renting. When I asked him about chickens he told me to email a councilman who dealt with the building department and ask for a variance. I am in school and work so I have been hesitant on contacting them because I just don't have the time to put together information and fight them on it.

While we're at it, can we add ducks to the roster as well? I would love to have a pair of ducks to eat my slugs and snails. What harm can ducks and a few chickens do? I can understand the rest of the farm animals, but even Cleveland allows for a few ducks and chickens in the backyard, under certain conditions...and they're MUCH closer in proximity to each other.

Back
Top Bottom