Merck Vaccinated Chicks and adding non vaccinated

debgoody

Chirping
Mar 13, 2017
Hi, we have 5 day old chicks (5 of them) they were vaccinated with merck vaccine. we are looking to get a few more chicks from a local place but they are not vaccinated. any suggestions?

The vax is made with a turkey version of Marek's so even though the vaxed chicks could shed virus, it won't be of a type that can cause harm to the non-vaxed chicks.

so I can have them share the same brooder? read different things that they need to be separated for a few weeks??

so I can have them share the same brooder?  read different things that they need to be separated for a few weeks??
Separated from adults because the adults could have the chicken version of Marek's and the chicks need time for the vax to offer full protection. The other chicks are highly unlikely to have Marek's.

Last edited:
I am so highly confused about the vaccination. There are so many different opinions and write ups about to vax or not. I got Brown ISA chicks from TSC. I read they dont vax for mercks. I read chicks should be vaxed at a day old or dont bother. I read to not put vaxed with unvaxed, that the virus is in their dander and it can spread. I also read that the vaccination can cause the virus and therefore spread. I am hatching chicks and i am not sure if i should vaccinate them. All my other birds are unvaccinated. But these I will sell. should i vaccinate those? They are silkys.
The vax is made with a turkey version of Marek's so even though the vaxed chicks could shed virus, it won't be of a type that can cause harm to the non-vaxed chicks.

Back
Top Bottom