Merging 3month with 1year ducks

adlynch

Songster
Mar 6, 2016
Spring Hope, NC
I have 2 one year old ducks. 1 female- light tan color(breed?) &1 male- Pekin. We started with 5 but lost 3 of them in August of last year. Around February we got 7 more ducks (3 pekin and 4 rouen) in hopes that we could get more females. There pens are separated, but side by side so they can see each other, but everytime we let them out together, our 1 year old pekin goes after the rouen ducks. He NEVER pays any attention to the other pekins. I can't leave them unsupervised for fear he will kill them. One of the female rouen already has a bald head from where he has pulled out her feathers. When I let them all out together I have to stand nearby and keep him away from her. Most of the time i keep the younger ones locked up, and let the older ducks free range, but now they won't even go down to the pond. The sit right beside the fence near the young ducks. I desperately need suggestions on how to help with live together peacefully. Or maybe I am being to over protective and need to let nature runs it course?? Thanks in advance!

Drakes are aggressive and protective of their Hens....At 3 months old your Ducklings are not mature enough to protect themselves from him...Introducing birds can be really hard during breeding season because the Drakes Hormones are so high.....You could try locking him up and introducing all the Hens first.....:frow

Ahhh Ok, I was wondering if it had something to do with it being breeding season. When is "breeding season" over? Is there a better time of year to introduce them. The female seems to have no interest in the new ducks.

Back
Top Bottom