Merging a new flock with a existing Rooster?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Str8, Jul 27, 2013.

1. Str8

Str8 Hatching

Jul 18, 2013
    Maple, WI
    Hello everyone!
    I am new to the chicken scene but jumped in head first. I started by purchasing some baby Orp Buffs from the local feed bin. I also picked up a existing flock of 2 year old RIR's. 9 Hens and 1 Roo. His name is Rusty. My Orp Buffs are 8 weeks old now and living is a separate coop connected to the larger coop. I am afraid I and going to have to meat out the 9 RIR Hens. One because of their age and another is because I do not think I am going to be able to merge the two flocks together. They are still producing about 4-6 eggs a day. Along with having 14 teenage Orp Buffs I also have 5 teenage Guineas that are in the coop with my Orps. They are getting along great I might add.
    My main question tonight is does anyone think I will be able to keep Rusty (My RIR Roo) and merge him with my Orp Buffs as the Head of Household without any casualties?

2. coffeychicks

coffeychicks Songster

Apr 7, 2013
    moncks corner s
    I was able to merge 3 flocks in one. What I did was when we free ranged we let them all out at once. 2 acres to sort it out but how their own coops. We have since joined all the coops and birds to 1 big happy family. Let the babies get to about the same size as others

Last edited: Jul 27, 2013
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: