Merging young flock with old

ECBW, I'm pretty sure you should not feed starter to full grown hens. Here the new chicks will be introduced to the converted stall while the big girls are out free ranging. When they come back in @ night they will have the rest of the barn to mill around in, where their feed, water, and nesting boxes will be. The babies still have a few weeks worth of starter/grower left so let us know what works. The laundry room looks like a war zone.

Katydid2011

Sorry to hear about your ordeal. Success does not seem to be guaranteed. In my end, my two flocks are living together separately!? Yes, they are in the same coop and run but keep to each's group. They also free range in two groups. So far, my observation is that the teenagers are the difficult ones. I do see them becoming less nervous gradually as they catch up in size.

All of the birds now prefer layer pallets. Some might say there is not enough protein and too much calcium. I'll say they will have strong frames and can pack on the meat later.
hmm.png

The younguns are now 9 to 11 weeks. This is the second week of co-habitation.

At what point do you usually transition from starter feed to layer feed?

I am going to be doing this same thing on Friday of this week. I currently have 5 1year olds in my coop/run. It was zoned to hold about 10 birds so we should have the room. I tried adding a silkie with the night scenario and she was fine until the following day when she was attacked. I puller her out and most of her feathers are coming in... still some pins working on it. Well my 2 babies are now 12 weeks old and outgrowing their dog kennel so we wanted to do a day of chaos for all of them. We are trading one bird that is mean to kids and birds to a friend and then adding these three into the coop. I was told lots of food and water stations and lots of treats to keep them busy. I will clean the coop immediately before adding the others which is also a little chaotic for them. My fingers are crossed that we can limit the fightine. I want to integrate these 3 new birds hopefully seamlessly... any other tips?

Hi,

This is week two of my merge. The chicks are now 10 to 11 weeks old. Still a bit timid but the distances they keep from the full-growns are shrinking.

Last week, I took in 4 bantams (was told 8 weeks old). I was going to keep them separated, but one day after free ranging, the bantams did not want to return to their own coop. They insisted on shacking up with all others. I decided to go along. It has been two days and things are OK. No blood, no dueling. Some pecking by the 10-week-olds on the bigger of bantams. The full-growns are fine with all new comers

When a chicken pecks another, I swat at the offender as I imagine that might be something roosters do to restore order. Can anyone with rooster comment on this technic? Well, it seems to baffle the offender and chases her off.

I have never seen a rooster go after anybody in a "pecking order" fight between hens. Roos tend to gang up on each other, but not break up a fight. I think you may be prolonging the establishment of the pecking order. I don't interfere unless there is blood. And I try to give the bottom hen some food by herself. But, that's all I do.
Dale-Ann

I have a big Cochin rooster and a RIR rooster. They will run across the yard to break up disagreements between the girls. For some reason the Cochin has appointed himself the guardian of the 10 week old Jerseys that I introduced into the established mixed flock. Maybe he's trying to stake his territory now amongst the new girls.

I recently tried to merge my new chicks into my regular flock and to my surprise witnessed the most terrible sight I could have ever imagined, the flock went crazy including my rooster on my little ones, my husband and I immediately raced to their rescue with only one chick suffering an injury. She has a slight limp but no visible wounds, in the confusion one of my older hens suffered more serious injuries including puncture wounds from the roosters spurs and is having extreme trouble walking, we are trying to doctor her and heal her injuries but I am very scared to ever try merging the chicks again, how is the best way to do this, I can't imagine putting my little ones through the stressful and life threatening experience again, please help me to know what to do I am at wits ends trying to figure out what in the world I am going to do.

Queenbeezz,

That was the image in my mind.

Treeowl,

It is unfortunate. I was dreading the same too.

I can only offer that do not despair. By keeping a sharp eye on things, you are already on the ball. Every breed and every bird for that matter could behave differently from expectation (not unlike people). Their behaviors will change with time. Keep trying different strategies. It will all work out. When it does, you will feel blissfully satisfied.

Promise that you will share how you accomplished the merge so we can benefit from you experience.

I'm going to be facing this in a couple of months and when I do I'm going to keep telling myself ECBW says "Keep trying different strategies. It will all work out. When it does, you will feel blissfully satisfied. " Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom