merging youngsters

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by PolloAdoro, Feb 21, 2011.

1. PolloAdoro

PolloAdoro Out Of The Brooder

Nov 1, 2010
    Conifer, Colorado
    I have a mating pair of muscovys, maybe 4-6 months old. I just got 3 khaki campbell ducklings. At what point would it be considered safe to put them all together? Are ducks like chickens- will they pick on the younger ones and possibly kill them? Thanks for your advice.

2. dumb_cluck

dumb_cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2010
    Upstate NY
    Don't put them together without supervision. They are too far apart in age and breed to trust that the older ones won't pick on the younger.

3. PolloAdoro

Nov 1, 2010
    Conifer, Colorado
    yes, I understand that right now they are too young, but at what age should the youngest ones be when they would get along fine?

4. PolloAdoro

Nov 1, 2010
    Conifer, Colorado
    Anyone? Please?

5. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    It really depends on the temperament of those older muscovies.

I have some ducks that will tolerate youngsters being around- and others who will pick on them a bit. My ducklings are outside by six weeks old- in colder months they are in the shed day and night for a further few weeks - whereas the adults all go outside every day what ever the season. I have two separate pens in the shed- where the adults can see each group of ducklings as they are put outside before they are all introduced to the flock . Currently in my main flock the youngest ducks are 8 weeks- with another group of 8 ducklings that are 6 weeks old in the extra pen in the shed. Anywhere from about 4 weeks old they can have supervised visits together to start getting used to each other - but make sure you watch them carefully to be able to intervene if the muscovies do go for the younger ones. But I wouldnt suggest housing them together full time until the babies are at least 8 weeks old- and even then- only if the muscovies will tolerate them without picking on them.

6. PolloAdoro

Nov 1, 2010
    Conifer, Colorado
    Ok, thanks for the advice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by