messed-up beak

grumpychicken

Chirping
9 Years
Oct 23, 2013
we happen to own what we think is a farrow quail (our only hen out of 4 other quail) and she was born with a crossed beak. we do need to trim the bottom,but we're worried about her inability to eat and probably drink. i've tried to handfeed her and she only got it in her beak atleast 2-3 times. with that,i highly doubt she is able to get water and we need to find help before she could get dehydrated/starved. help?

the beak has lots of nerves and blood running through it. I would not try to trim one myself, take her to a vet. How has she lived up to this? Has her beak always been crossed?

for a long while,we've had them for around 4-5 months im thinking. and yes,when we got her as a baby her beak was crossing already.
EDIT:it turns out,yes,she can eat,but it's still pretty hard for her. the downside yet still,though,is we're completely unsure if she can drink at all,because we have tried giving her water but she didnt drink any.

Last edited:
I have one that has the same thing and he is just turning a year old , I set up a web cam in the cage so I could see if he will eat and drink and he does just fine , he does it a little different than the others though..

Back
Top Bottom