Messengers?

theguy67

In the Brooder
9 Years
Dec 23, 2010
Can any pigeon be used for messengers/carrier, or a specific breed? I dont want to buy pegions that will just fly away. I'd like a bird that can fly freely around the yard/pasture and will return if released afew miles away.

Also, how far can you release a pegion and it still returns?

Most pigeons will fly around during the day and return to there roost. Messenger pigeons are a breed called homers witch are used for racing and a 500 mile race is not uncommon. If you are looking for a bird to release some distance from your house and have them return those are the bird for you. However if you buy adult homers and let them fly they will return to there home (Were you bought them most likely) not your home. So you would want to buy breeders and fly the offspring of those or buy young birds that have never been flown. If you just want birds to watch fly around rollers are nice. They fly up in the air and perform acrobatic rolls on the way back down.

thumbsup.gif
What he said...

you know they have txting, email, and even a phone for that
lol.png
, jk.

But on a more serious note, so in WWI ( i think) when they used messengers, once they were sent back to base or thier roost, dose that mean they had to ship the birds back out to the feild? or is it possible to program them to return to more than 1 place????

Last edited:
But on a more serious note, so in WWI ( i think) when they used messengers, once they were sent back to base or thier roost, dose that mean they had to ship the birds back out to the feild? or is it possible to program them to return to more than 1 place????

They will only return to one place​

Thankyou all for the advice. I am not sure what my next step shall be, but I will manage to figure it out. And yes I am aware hawks will seek out birds for food. I live on 100 acers, and we have afew hawks around, but not near the house.

All breeds have homing instinct, but only homers have reliable homing ability. What I mean by that, is they all know to go home - to come inside to perch/roost, eat, drink, live. They won't fly away like parrots or doves will if they escape the house/cage. HOWEVER, the majority of the breeds cannot go out of sight of the loft without getting lost. For example, say you live in the woods, and your bird is chased by a hawk until it cannot see the loft from all the trees. If it gets up and tries to find home, it will either get lucky and see the loft and its flock, or it will go the wrong way and get completely lost. Flying breeds have a better chance of getting up high enough and seeing familiar places.

If you want pigeons who can fly here and there, and wander around like free ranging chickens, then you're good with just about anything (try to stay away from the show birds, as they are usually much slower and easier to be picked up by hawks/other predators).
If you want pigeons that when you let them out, they will fly as a flock, above the trees, making laps around the property, and want to get entertainment out of seeing them fly, you'll want a flying breed like homers, rollers, or highfliers.
If you want pigeons who will also be able to fly home from distances up to 600 miles (or more, if they are good and you are good at preparing them), then your only choice is homers/racers (same breed, slightly different purposes).

Messenger pigeons were homing pigeons. They come home, as in one home. If they were too old when you got them, and you let them out, they'll fly back to where they came from. Yes, bases did move around a lot during the war, and lofts had to be relocated a lot. But they were very good at what they did, and young birds were being bred and provided by fanciers constantly. There were a LOT of pigeons that served in the World Wars.

Quote:
If you live in the open, and the loft won't be right next to the trees, then you should have it good. Coopers and Sharp-shinned hawks are the worst when it comes to catching pigeons. They are the best at slipping through the woods and sneaking up on the pigeons. Red-tails are the ones you'll see the most if you are out in the open. They are a lot bigger, slower, and clumsier, so they hunt primarily in open fields. They have a harder time catching pigeons, epecially homers. And it sounds like your birds will have plenty of space to watch. Should be easy to spot a hawk way before it gets too close.

Back
Top Bottom