1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Messy ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by johnson2plusme, Feb 27, 2013.

1. johnson2plusme

johnson2plusme New Egg

Feb 18, 2013
    Ft. Mohave, Arizona
    I have my ducklings and chicks together in the brooder and they get along great. I know the ducks need water to wet their beaks, but how do I keep the brooder dry? It always seams like the ducks are knocking the water over and making a mess. They have a waterer in there, but if I don't keep a bowl for the ducks will it hurt them? I am open to any suggestions.

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    If you are having trouble now... wait until they are fully grown !!!! ( Just a little tired tonight after filling in lots of holes after a few days wet weather )

I use some plastic container with lids- but I cut a little section out of the lid- that way the ducks can still their heads in- but cant actually try and swim in it too [​IMG]

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Take a look at the setup tweetysvoice has, and the one 70%cocoa uses. Ducks are waterfowl, and ducklings need food and water 24/7. They also need to be able to wash their entire heads, to avoid serious infections.

4. duckins

duckins Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2012
    Gladys, Va
    [​IMG] this tray by Rubbermaid works wonders for me granted its messy but its contained in the tray and water never turned over. As Amiga said they need a dunking container like the one listed above to clean faces and feed/water 24/7 w/o water they will choke on feed. I give mine a dunking bowl several times a day right before I clean them out because it gets dusty in brooder in addition they swim in my tub everyday.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by