1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

messy nest boxes

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 6CHICKS141, Oct 4, 2012.

1. 6CHICKS141

6CHICKS141 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2012
    Massachussetts
    so first: yay!!!! one of my chickens have started laying!!!! but heres the thing: they keep their nesting boxes very clean, until they lay the egg! then its a mess! they did out the newspaper and pine shavings and toss it onto the floor of the coop! dont know really what to do [​IMG]

2. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Mine chicks scratch around a bit before they lay and egg to make a coozy spot. Does your nest have any sort of lip on it? If not, adding one might let them move stuff around how they want without it all falling out.

3. AKnewbie

AKnewbie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    My chickens did the same thing. Straw, shavings, lip, it didn't matter.
    I took the advice of one of the posters here and cut up an outside floor mat (the bristly kind) and fit it inside the nesting boxes. That way, I dont end up with cracked eggs.
    It's worked well, so far.

4. jbirds2012

jbirds2012 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2012
    paicines, ca.
    yea, normally they keep there boxes neat but sometimes they reek havoc for no reason.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by