Metal Poultry Nipples

RoosterML

🥇Ukraine 🥇
5 Years
Nov 5, 2018
Tolland County Connecticut, USA
Anyone try the metal Poultry Nipples in freezing temps? How did they do? I know the plastic ones freeze up right at 32 but wondering if the metal ones would do better. I have Horizontal nipples in use currently that do well in freezing temps.
These in the photo seem to have the “plug” inside the waterer unlike the plastic ones.
74273A18-B964-401F-864A-B075CCB06EB4.png

Last edited:
@aart what say you?
The metal would probably conduct cold more easily.
Wonders if the pins/seals are spring loaded to make the seal better?
I thought all vertical nipples sealed there, just used gravity and metal to metal contact...unlike the spring loaded HN's.

Reason I am asking is because I did have HN freeze up on me at about 5*.
With heated water?
Inside or outside coop?

The metal would probably conduct cold more easily.
Wonders if the pins/seals are spring loaded to make the seal better?
I thought all vertical nipples sealed there, just used gravity and metal to metal contact...unlike the spring loaded HN's.

With heated water?
Inside or outside coop?
Believe it or not the instructions mention installation of these Horizontal. I was gonna give them a try both ways.

Outside coop with heated water.
I changed my water system no longer using 5gallon bucket with HN.
I was thinking the metal would help carry the heat keeping the nipple thawed better.
Using a cooler,aquarium pump and stock tank heater to feed a pipe system.

Believe it or not the instructions mention installation of these Horizontal.
For poultry? Rabbits maybe but <scratcheshead>

Using a cooler,aquarium pump and stock tank heater to feed a pipe system
That's tricky business.
I don't think the nipples are the problem.

For poultry? Rabbits maybe but <scratcheshead>

That's tricky business.
I don't think the nipples are the problem.
I was using an aquarium heater which I now changed to a stock tank unit. I think to much water for the aquarium heater. The water in the pipe didn’t freeze. Once I chipped the ice off the lip and worked the metal lever it flowed again. I’m wondering if the cold weather activated the lever just enough to let it leak a hair.

Once I chipped the ice off the lip and worked the metal lever it flowed again. I’m wondering if the cold weather activated the lever just enough to let it leak a hair.
Some water can remain in that little lip and freeze, especially if the nipple is not tipped down a tad(which is hard to do), have had that happen here.
If that only happened to one nipple, I wouldn't worry much about it.

Do you have a thread or article laying out your system?

Some water can remain in that little lip and freeze, especially if the nipple is not tipped down a tad(which is hard to do), have had that happen here.
If that only happened to one nipple, I wouldn't worry much about it.

Do you have a thread or article laying out your system?
I did a video , I can send you link if you like.

Back
Top Bottom