Metal run in the snow?

Got it... Had to do a screenshot of my pic. The closest end is framed for a door. I added additional 2x4s on both ends in a inverted V for additional support.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220926-214149.png
    Screenshot_20220926-214149.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 8
It’s just the cheap stuff that came with the run. Really light guage. They call it hexagonal wire mesh.
Basically chicken wire.
Not gonna hold up well with what little structural framing is there.
@mowin's ridge beam isn't going to help much either.
Not sure what to suggest @CarlaCo , sorry.

I'm trying. I've posted many pics over the years. Have no idea what is going on.

Basically, I had a 2x6 running front to back at the highest point. This would be the ridge board. On each end I put a 2x6 under the ridge board and held everything up with vertical 2x4s in a inverted V
Ok so like a roof frame under the wire mesh over aluminum frame?
I saw this kind of thing. Not sure I can talk hubby into helping. This first egg better be made of gold, cause it’s costing buckets of time, energy and moola. 🤪

Attachments

• 269B385A-2F78-4E82-9EEC-B0C7EE2AA733.jpeg
    269B385A-2F78-4E82-9EEC-B0C7EE2AA733.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 8
Got it... Had to do a screenshot of my pic. The closest end is framed for a door. I added additional 2x4s on both ends in a inverted V for additional support.
Oh that pic is really helpful. But looks like it would literally have to be a frame under the frame with a full bottom to support it all. Maybeeeee hubby will help knock something like that up. Not likely as it’s a lot of wood. He’s a wait till it caves-in kind of solver. Looks like I’ll be out there in the snow knocking it off as it comes down.

I did think if a couple more hoops could be added, it would help the middles from sagging and snow might want to fall off more. Are those pvc things just really long skinny pieces of pipe they glue together and just bend? Maybe something long and flexible could be attached to arch the middle up?

Right, and works well under a livestock panel hoop.
But look at the structure in question.
Framing not nearly as sturdy and with chicken wire mesh.
It's better than nothing. OP could add cattle panels over the original structure. Maybe only over either end to help.

It's better than nothing. OP could add cattle panels over the original structure. Maybe only over either end to help.
Is cattle panel as hard to work with as hardware cloth? We found that stuff so difficult to cut and attach to the mini run.

Update- just looked at them and saw reviews on tractor supply. 16’x50’ but I can’t figure out how I would get them home, we don’t own a pickup.

Last edited:
Hi all, trying to solve one potential problem at a time. We bought this metal run for our coop. I bought some tough tarp, but I can see how snow may cave in the wide expanse under the dome where there is little support. Does anyone who lives where it snows have a metal run? What kind of things did you do to winterize or weatherize it?
My run has netting over the top and the snow just goes through it. I have ducks but with Chickens I would put tarps around the sides and you would think with that curved top that the snow would not stick to it. I am not sure how sturdy that top is by just looking at it. My netting is just held up by T Posts and that works well to keep the snow from collapsing it. We get quite a bit of snow at times since I am in Ohio. My sides are dog run panels and some have tarps covering them to keep the wind out and other are just bare and the ducks all do fine as they have plenty of shelter to get out of the weather. Good Luck with yours.

Back
Top Bottom