Metal Waterers... leaching something?

micstrachan

Addict
8 Years
Apr 10, 2016
Santa Cruz Mountains, California
Greetings,
This morning I was removing my metal waterers, since I’m treating the flock with acidified copper sulfate. I noticed one of them had something oozing out between the ring wall and the bottom pan. It left white on my finger and felt greasy. What could this be? I noticed a couple times the water in that waterer (an no other) was a little cloudy. Could the material that is used to galvanize be leaching? Is this toxic to my birds? It could be a coincidence, but my one hen who loves that waterer is suffering from a crop problem.
Finally, that particular waterer is in the sun a lot. It’s in the area I call the “Sun Room,” a 3 x 5 room off the main coop, screened in on three sides, under the upper level of the coop. It’s a safe spot for them to get sun in the winter, as most of the run is shaded during the shortest days of the year. Is sun bad for these waterers?

I wouldn't put a waterer in direct sunlight regardless, as the nasties that can live there just grow that much quicker when exposed to warmth.

As you are treating with an acid, could it be possible that it is eroding the metal of the waterer?

I wouldn't put a waterer in direct sunlight regardless, as the nasties that can live there just grow that much quicker when exposed to warmth.

As you are treating with an acid, could it be possible that it is eroding the metal of the waterer?

Thanks. No, I only put the ACS in plastic. Only straight tap water has been in that metal one. :)

So I guess the sun/heat must be causing this waterer (which is pretty new) to corrode. I’ll consider keeping it out of the sun once I put them back in (after copper treatment).

Could it be that the galvanizing process didn’t complete properly? I’m tempted to return it if it’s a manufacturing flaw. Especially if it can harm my flock.

Thanks. No, I only put the ACS in plastic. Only straight tap water has been in that metal one. :)

Ah! I think we were all working on the assumption that the acid was in the metal waterer. I can't speak as to what is going on with it, but it does sound as though it is corroding, unlikely to be from sunheat though. I would be inclined to chuck it/return it.

Back
Top Bottom