Method to spread DE

Yes- make sure it says "food grade" DE. There is another kind you don't want to use.

I also mix DE into my food mix I give, so they eat it, about 1 part to 60-80? parts grains/seeds. I'm not exact with the DE. I've read on here that will deworm? them a little from the inside- don't quote me though- look it up for sure. Supposed to be good for them.

I take a tiny scooper (about 1/4 cup) and throw the DE around each coop EVERY time after I spread new shavings, as I use the deep litter method in all the coops. I hold my breath- it goes everywhere! I shake it lightly in the smaller coops.

I use way more than 1/4 cup in each coop, but that is what I scoop it with. I hold my breath when I pour my feed, as a dust cloud arises from it.

big_smile.png

I just purchased a dust applicator or spreader ("powder mill") to use in my backyard and coup. You turn a handle to generate air that blows the DE out of it. The DE comes out as a mist and I was wondering if it was an adequate amount to do the job of controlling insects. I kept wanting to grab a handful of DE and toss around just make sure. Has anyone else used this method?

Too much trouble.

For the coop bedding, I just toss out a hand full when needed and cover with more bedding. I'll rake it over a little sometimes and that's about it. Why make it air born with a DE applicator? My girls like to dig deep into the litter and so it's important not to add too much which will just throw it up in the air, and probably into their lungs.

I use it to keep my DL dry, and I haven't had to add any for several weeks as the litter dries itself really.

I like the idea of having some in a plastic coffee container with a lid with holes as a shaker. Good idea!! I just got my DE this last week end. Also think the tea strainer idea is good. I was thinking I'd use a wire strainer with long handle so I could sort of sift it into feeder trough and onto the litter. Not much will be needed at a time from what I'm reading. I'll be doing deep litter for winter . I have two runs divided by a gate so I'll be able to contain the girls to one run while I clean/change out/add to the litter in the coop. The DE is very fine but I figure there's nothing to worry about as long as I don't apply it too heavily.

Back
Top Bottom