Methods for checking Emu eggs Pre-Hatch (please post methods)

I think the bacteria might produce some heat, but I'm hoping not much. Also the egg is much larger than the two possibly healthy eggs, meaning it'd hold onto heat a bit better.

I really hope mine doesn't explode. The last rotting one I had didn't, but it was cracked so maybe that released the pressure.

Day 24's test had similar results; warmer/less heat loss on top than on the bottom for all of the eggs, though I've noticed more heat loss towards both ends of the eggs as well. The "good" eggs remained somewhat warmer, although I neglected to calculate exact heat loss. I think I'll do that for today's test, as well as probably post this as its own thread once I have all the information in and have at least one definitely alive egg for comparison -assuming I do have one of those.

I think the bacteria might produce some heat, but I'm hoping not much. Also the egg is much larger than the two possibly healthy eggs, meaning it'd hold onto heat a bit better.

I really hope mine doesn't explode. The last rotting one I had didn't, but it was cracked so maybe that released the pressure.

Day 24's test had similar results; warmer/less heat loss on top than on the bottom for all of the eggs, though I've noticed more heat loss towards both ends of the eggs as well. The "good" eggs remained somewhat warmer, although I neglected to calculate exact heat loss. I think I'll do that for today's test, as well as probably post this as its own thread once I have all the information in and have at least one definitely alive egg for comparison -assuming I do have one of those.
I am following and doing some similar research. Although, I wont know till after my hatch which eggs are good or not bc I lack experience. I have 10 eggs in the incubator staggered. 3 eggs 3 eggs then 4 eggs from different places.I weigh them daily and take temperature. So far no 100% sure movements even on the 40 day eggs. It is just wait and see.

I just had a thought. In the past I have used the float test and then learned that it isn't very accurate.
What I did notice was the egg wiggled in the water and it was very easy to see. Both the egg and the water moved.
So, I"m trying to figure out how I could try the wiggle in water and not rinse off any of the protective film or risk there being a crack in the egg and killing the chick.
What if I slipped the egg into a clear plastic baggy and then into some water?

That might work. Maybe like a bag usually used for bread? That's what I'm imagining now.
I don't use the float test because I don't want to risk damaging the chicks, instead I just sit them on a flat surface and watch and feel for temperature differences. I've predicted one hatch exactly so far with these methods, but then again I only had two eggs.

I just had a thought. In the past I have used the float test and then learned that it isn't very accurate.
What I did notice was the egg wiggled in the water and it was very easy to see. Both the egg and the water moved.
So, I"m trying to figure out how I could try the wiggle in water and not rinse off any of the protective film or risk there being a crack in the egg and killing the chick.
What if I slipped the egg into a clear plastic baggy and then into some water?
I think it may die from carbon dioxide in a bag. My eggs are on day 49 today. I have a big problem bc I can not tell which side is the air cell on some. I was also considering the float test to tell but some are to far bc could be internally piped then drown. I dont know what to do...

Sit them out for ten minutes and feel the ends. The cooler end is the air cell. If you're unable to feel the difference you could test with a thermometer as I had described above. My eggs end up about eight degrees cooler on the air cell end [85 air cell and over 90 elsewhere.]
Also, if they're alive usually if you put them on a flat, level surface the end that's higher is the air cell end. My first indication of the infertility of my dud egg last year was that it sat level while my other egg [currently an emu] tilted.

Sit them out for ten minutes and feel the ends. The cooler end is the air cell. If you're unable to feel the difference you could test with a thermometer as I had described above. My eggs end up about eight degrees cooler on the air cell end [85 air cell and over 90 elsewhere.]
Also, if they're alive usually if you put them on a flat, level surface the end that's higher is the air cell end. My first indication of the infertility of my dud egg last year was that it sat level while my other egg [currently an emu] tilted.
The first 3 today 50 were all duds. I am pretty sure they are scrambled. All my other eggs lean on day 45 so I can definitely tell with them. They also wiggle.
I couldn't feel a temperature difference. So I guessed a did a small hole just in case they were alive. Unfortunately they were not. Probably why no test was working. The lost the right amount of weight all along. I knew that these 3 just felt different from the others. My next 3 eggs are on day 45 and wiggle like crazy. This is my first time. I have 4 more eggs on day 20ish so to soon to tell. I hope to get at least 2 emu.

Yeah, dud eggs do lose the right amount of weight and everything. My first time I had no idea that one of my eggs was infertile until I drilled a hole after the first egg hatched out.

Good luck, though. I always hoped for two but ended up with one; hopefully this hatch will be different and both eggs will hatch, even though I can't keep both unfortunately.

Both of my eggs are wiggling! That said, I'll be posting my data on their temperatures from the days when I tested them against the bad egg -and also finally getting rid of that bad egg.

Back
Top Bottom