1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Meyer Hatchery bargain bin - surprise is what I got!

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by jtbrown, Jan 14, 2016.

1. jtbrown

jtbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    Took a road trip on Dec 7th to Meyer Hatchery in Polk, Ohio. I had ordered 5 blue splash Maran. On way there called and added on 6 EE and 8 Welsummer that were hatchery overruns. All pullets. I got there and they have a bargain bin. 6 what I call 'chipmunk' looking pullets, unknown breeds, already a week old $2 a piece, I hand picked out 6 of the birds with no rhyme or reason, figured they were all brown leghorn or something similar. And cheep.

Imagine my surprise when the 6 birds started looking different. I think 2 may be brown leghorn, but 1 is a dorking - extra toe and all and 3 - yes 3 - appear to be Cream Legbars! One of their most expensive birds.

Anyone else had similar experience? I called Meyer Hatchery and had a talk with customer service and she confirmed that occasionally the rare breeds are in the bargain bin. Couldn't 100% confirm, but she let me know it was possible. I will try to attach a pic or 2.

Feeling like I hit the jackpot. I have a mid sized flock, and the Marans were my treat as I had wanted them since I started perusing breeds before I got chickens 5 years ago. I like a pretty mixed flock, with lots of variation in egg color. I am so excited!

2. jtbrown

jtbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    [​IMG]
    Top left is what I think is my 6 week old Cream Legbar, bottom left is what I believe is my Dorking, top right is blue Splash Maran and bottom right is an EE.

3. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Runs With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    That is the jackpot, nice looking birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by