Meyer hatchery packin peanut. :P

GabrielBane

Songster
Sep 20, 2016
Jacksonville
Well, my 10 EEs arrived from Meyer, and well, we got a little extra blonde chick, so we threw a leg band on 'er (as to not confuse her with the Sulmtalers from Greenfire) and put her in with the rest, so it got me thinkin'..... What have been your experiences with "Filler" or "packing" chicks?

Ours seems to be a bantam with a beard, so perhaps a D'Anver, but I guess it could be another color variety of EE, only time can tell!

Meyer always adds an extra in case one doesn't make the trip. They will put in the same sex and breed as ordered so it should be a female EE. What color are it's legs?

Hmmm. I'm not sure if her legs will change color to green like an EE should have or if you do have a different breed, but I have ordered from Meyer about 40-50 times in the past and the extra chick of the same breed and sex thing has always been the case. Check the underside of the shipping box lid. It should say exactly what you got.

Hmmm. I'm not sure if her legs will change color to green like an EE should have or if you do have a different breed, but I have ordered from Meyer about 40-50 times in the past and the extra chick of the same breed and sex thing has always been the case. Check the underside of the shipping box lid. It should say exactly what you got.
It just says Easter Egger 10 and then Meyer Meal Maker and heat pack, but it still says 11 were shipped/packaged, so we're stumped, normally we'd check the invoice to figure it out. She's super cute, and albeit small, she's keepin' up. As long as she doesn't become aggressive or too unhealthy, she'll have a place in our flock. :) (right now she's only banded because she REALLY blends in with the sulmtalers)

We're not particularly worried about figuring it out though, we just love hearing stories and such of people's experiences with these sorta things, as the SO is new to most of the process. ;)

Ahhhh, the meal maker:) It will be an egg-laying female then because your others are female. With the meal makers they give you something similar to what you ordered. If you had ordered meat birds then it would be another meat bird. It's always fun to get a surprise. Have fun with it:)

Ahhhh, the meal maker:) It will be an egg-laying female then because your others are female. With the meal makers they give you something similar to what you ordered. If you had ordered meat birds then it would be another meat bird. It's always fun to get a surprise. Have fun with it:)
Thank you!! It would be fantabulous if they gave us a legbar since we did order EEs and they are the only other colored egg layers Meyer has at the moment, but there are several other culprits on the list(Leghorns, orpingtons, etc) , we shall see! Thank you for the info, super helpful and I'll definitely remember this next time so I'm not so stumped LOL

Hope you'll let us know what she turns out to be. When she is 6 weeks or older, you can post her photo at "what breed or gender is this," and know for sure.

Back
Top Bottom