Meyer Hatchery vs. McMurray Hatchery

Over the last 8 months, I have ordered from Meyer 4 times and Murray McMurray once. Thankfully, ALL of my birds from both hatcheries arrived happy and healthy and are still going strong. I received excellent customer service from both hatcheries, but if I HAD to choose between the two, I would give Meyer the edge. The people I've dealt with have all been exceptionally friendly and helpful. Due to proximity, Meyer is better for me since I'm close enough to pick up my orders, though I haven't experienced any issues with their shipping.

I ordered for the first time ever online and I decided to use Murray McMurray, placed my order in October and got them mid April. They shipped them on Friday and I picked them up that Monday morning, grand total of 50 chicks. Everyone arrived safely and then started dropping like flies, within 10 hrs I lost 7 chicks. Emailed the Hatchery, no questions asked and received a refund. BUT also noticed my SL Cochin had a leg/foot deformity upon arrival, she got used to it though. Also one of the silkies started having seizures and what not as soon as everyone got in the brooder. Now one of my white sultans, he has scissorbeak. I'm surprised a Hatchery would have that in the breeding stock they get their eggs from. OVERALL, I am pleased with them, everyone is healthy and gorgeous now and I know chickens are bound to die and have issues so I don't really hold it against them. Will probably order from them next year too.

We choose Meyer because they were the closest to us (we live in WV). These will be our first chickens and are scheduled to arrive next week. I called the order in and the guy who I spoke with was very professional and answered all of my questions. My interaction with Meyer was a positive experience. I will try to update after we receive them next week.

We received our chicks today from Meyer Hatchery. They have already figured out the nipple waterer and had some breakfast! Great all around experience with Meyer!

Meyer is my go-to.

Got my order in this morning and I was so excited when I heard the little peeps walking into that post office. First order I've ever had shipped from Meyer (3rd order) and I'm still a little weary. Not because of Meyer but because of the USPS.

Everyone arrived alive and right on time. Order correct as always. But my little Black Copper Maran cockerel has something wonky with his legs but it'll straighten itself out.

Overall very, very happy as always! Still staring at this selection like its a Toys-R-Us catalog. Keep up the great work!

Last edited:
I really like Meyer as well. We have consistently received healthy, beautiful babies from them. The vast majority have also had wonderful personalities. I also appreciate the fact that they carry some very rare breeds that most other hatcheries don't. Our Cream Legbar, Black Copper Marans, Blue Splash Marans, Black Ameraucana, and Lavender Orpington are gorgeous!

I ordered for the first time ever online and I decided to use Murray McMurray, placed my order in October and got them mid April. They shipped them on Friday and I picked them up that Monday morning, grand total of 50 chicks. Everyone arrived safely and then started dropping like flies, within 10 hrs I lost 7 chicks. Emailed the Hatchery, no questions asked and received a refund. BUT also noticed my SL Cochin had a leg/foot deformity upon arrival, she got used to it though. Also one of the silkies started having seizures and what not as soon as everyone got in the brooder. Now one of my white sultans, he has scissorbeak. I'm surprised a Hatchery would have that in the breeding stock they get their eggs from. OVERALL, I am pleased with them, everyone is healthy and gorgeous now and I know chickens are bound to die and have issues so I don't really hold it against them. Will probably order from them next year too.
We had very similar issues. The same chick that would be jumping around merrily would be laying dead two minutes later. The survivors from McMurray are very hardy and better free rangers than any of our Meyer's birds.

One other point worth mentioning is that I have ordered a total of 26 pullets from Meyer Hatchery, and it wasn't until my third order that I finally got ONE "oops" cockerel. Thus far, I've been HIGHLY impressed with their sexing accuracy, which in my case has been about 96.15%. Add wonderful employees to the equation and the fact that 100% of my chicks survived and they've made me one VERY happy customer!

My pullet chick order arrived this morning from Meyer's. 1 Blue Orpington, 1 Lavender Orpington, 1 White Rock, 1 Partridge Rock, 1 Barnevelder, 1 Delaware, 1 Light Brown Leghorn and 1 Cream Legbar. This was the best experience I have had ordering. I ordered online, decided I wanted to order more late on a weekend night (never go for dinner and drinks and then get on their website). Given it was late at night, I created a new order and then had to call Meyer's to have them combine the orders on that Monday. Then...two days later I called them back to make a change to the order adding the Cream Legbar and removed a white egg layer. It was a great experience every time I called and made a change, I could actually see the changes being made online while looking at my order and then got an email with the updated order details. Additionally, I watched the order on Monday morning being processed online and knew immediately when it was complete and shipped.

Not Meyer's issue but the Lavender Orpington was looking a little sad with closed eyes and kind of falling backwards and falling over....she was looking that way at the post office. Thought I was going to lose her then was thinking maybe she was a little tired from her trip. I really think she might have gotten a little chilled since she arrived at 1:30am at a distribution center by me and then at my post office at 5:15am. It was 52 degrees out when I picked them up at 5:30am After a few times dunking her beak in the water she sat and drank and found the food. After a little more time she looked like her box mates and was running around.

I have another order coming tomorrow morning from McMurray but that is two started pullets so I will not be able to compare the chicks. One thing I know from my order so far is that the started pullets are coming from Texas so they must have outsourced the raising of them to someone in Texas. These are going to be a Black Australorp and a Buff Orpington. Meyer's didn't have these when I was placing my order so I couldn't get them as chicks.

Those are some beautiful chicks, exner60! I always end up changing my orders with Meyer Hatchery multiple times and they're always nice about it. They are great people! Glad your babies arrived safely.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom