Meyer Hatchery vs. McMurray Hatchery

One other point worth mentioning is that I have ordered a total of 26 pullets from Meyer Hatchery, and it wasn't until my third order that I finally got ONE "oops" cockerel. Thus far, I've been HIGHLY impressed with their sexing accuracy, which in my case has been about 96.15%. Add wonderful employees to the equation and the fact that 100% of my chicks survived and they've made me one VERY happy customer!

Chicken math strikes again! I forgot to include the 4 Meyer pullets we gave as gifts. Out of 30 pullets ordered, we got one cockerel...96.7% sexing accuracy. Hope my math is correct this time...haha!

I'm excited for you, too, thick chick! New babies are always worth celebrating.
smile.png
Our Ameraucanas from Meyer are 15 weeks old today. As you can see, the blue one has crossbeak, but we still love her!

I was holding off posting this hoping Meyers would make it right. My family and I have been anxiously awaiting our 17 chics from Meyers. I tracked them all the way here and even called he post office to make sure I could get them as soon as they got in. They were delivered last Thursday to the post office. 16 DOA and the last one died within 3 hours. I know when ordering shipped birds some loss is inevitable. We were devastated to say the least. We called Meyers as soon as they opend to inform them of what happened. I belive it was the post office who mishandled them but still thought Meyers would make it right. They informed us they would replace the chicks next week. I wasn't even sure I could go through this again but decided it was probably just a fluke and I would try again. We lied to our kids trying to save them from the pain and informed them the chicks would be arriving a week late. Meyers informed us to call Today to make sure they had all the correct chicks for the order. When we called they were out of almost all of our chicks and would not be sending replacement. We could have a credit and keep checking the site if we wanted. This was a appalling response to me. They had chicks that were the breeds we ordered but wound up selling them all before they replaced ours. You would think they would replace the damaged birds before filling new orders. Hey did refund my money but honestly this in no way made me feel any better. I had to come home and tell my kids that we were not going to get our chicks that we had been waiting months for. My daughter has been taking pictures of the chicks to show and tell for weeks and is now devistated. I will never order from them again and wanted to share my experience with all. I understand that accidents happen but Meyers should have made this right.

I have used both hatcheries, because they offer slightly different selections. I have had excellent customer service interactions with both, and what makes Meyer go in to the "Plus" category for me, is that when you order the "free chick" you get the same "type" as what you ordered. As an example, I only order pullets because I can't have roosters in my town, Meyer will send me a free layer pullet, not a male meat bird. McMurray sends a random one, most often a male.

I can tell you that I will never order from "Ideal Hatchery" again. In my last order, 9 out of 10 White Hybrids died within 3 days, the 10 RIR's from the same shipment were fine. I contacted them and said that 9 out of 10 from the one breed was more than a coincidence, especially where the RIR's were fine. Their response was along the lines of "too bad for you, better luck next time".

I can say that Meyer and McMurray went out of their way to replace or credit any dead chicks I have had.

I have not tried any other than these three mentioned.

~K

I was holding off posting this hoping Meyers would make it right. My family and I have been anxiously awaiting our 17 chics from Meyers.... They were delivered last Thursday to the post office. 16 DOA and the last one died within 3 hours. I know when ordering shipped birds some loss is inevitable... When we called they were out of almost all of our chicks and would not be sending replacement. We could have a credit and keep checking the site if we wanted.... You would think they would replace the damaged birds before filling new orders. Hey did refund my money but honestly this in no way made me feel any better.... I understand that accidents happen but Meyers should have made this right.

Thank you for sharing your experience, though I am sorry for what happened. I think it was really great of them to try and replace your order, but the orders are usually set months in advance (at least the most sought after breeds are, like Olive Eggers and Spitshauben, for example). I bet they were intending to provide you with any extras that may have hatched after the breed sold out. I think they did well by fully refunding you, not that it makes your situation any better...

I have had excellent customer service interactions with both, and what makes Meyer go in to the "Plus" category for me, is that when you order the "free chick" you get the same "type" as what you ordered. 

I can tell you that I will never order from "Ideal Hatchery" again.  In my last order, 9 out of 10 White Hybrids died within 3 days, the 10 RIR's from the same shipment were fine.  I contacted them and said that 9 out of 10 from the one breed was more than a coincidence, especially where the RIR's were fine.  Their response was along the lines of "too bad for you, better luck next time". 

I can say that Meyer and McMurray went out of their way to replace or credit any dead chicks I have had.

So Ideal didn't refund you? I have heard bad things about Ideal (good things too, but not as many), them using cockerels chicks as packing peanuts, most DOA, and just bad customer service. I personally don't like their website. It's not as user friendly as Meyer, MyPetChicken, or McMurray, so I was never tempted anyway, even though they are only a three hour drive from me.

I bought ducks from McMurray in February. 16 of them. Two died, and they shipped express for two replacements at no charge. The lady was really nice too.

I was considering making an order of their layer assortment, even if it would mean cleaning my friend's coop (we made a deal of no 2016 orders). I feel like I barely got any eggs from my 40 chickens this year, so I sold half of my flock to gain some production breeds. Then again, I guess I could take a trip to Tractor Supply or Atwoods without the shipping hassle.

Back
Top Bottom