Mice in the coop

Squirlatheart

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 17, 2009
Hi all,

I have noticed that since this winter, I have a real problem with mice in my coop. I am wondering if this could spread disease to my chickens? How would you all manage this without harming the chickens or guineas? Thanks for any advice.

Yuck... isn't there a better way than traps?
hu.gif

You can use the Victor humane traps, or the Tomcat ones. They are a plastic coffin-type trap, you put peanut butter inside, they walk in and the door closes. Then you take it out and relocate the mouse. They sell them everywhere. You just have to remember to remove them or the mouse will die of suffocation

Just don't buy the glue traps. They are the most inhumane way of trapping a mouse.

Last edited:
Well that might work. They run when I open the door, and I know if I put an open trap, one of the chickens would get curious.... and you know... it might not be pretty. Thank you Jersey Girl. I will go to Lowe's this weekend.
hmm.png

The little plastic box traps aren't worth the money. I bet those things failing sell more spring-bale traps than anything.

If you're willing to spring for it there are some really nice metal live-catch traps out there. I used a fish net to capture the one mouse I've found. Have him in a 30 gallon hexagonal tank now, entertaining the family.

Neighborhood cats seem to be doing a pretty good job. Figured I'd rescue one token mouse and quietly murder the rest without alerting the kids, but haven't seen any more.

I have had this problem since I did my spring cleaning and found a little family in the litter. I guess hiding up from the winter. My chickens had a great treat, though I did feel a little bad. Now, I think I saw one run under the stair of the coop a day or two ago but I couldn't find it. All I can think of is if those others got in then more can now and I really don't want that.
The reason I think I have them is cause I have quite a few cats and kittens that live in the barn almost right beside the coop so the only place to stay safe is through the run and into the coop where the cats can't get to them.

I don't want and wouldn't use any inhumane way to get rid of them. I have to agree with jerseygirl1 that glue traps are not the way to go either.

The little plastic box traps work well for me - since the mice only come out at night when the hens are roosting, putting peanut butter was more humane than putting poison and opening up and dumping a dead mouse. The family thing bothered me, that's why we went to the Tomcat traps without the poison

Talk to your chickens tell them its time to start cleaning out the mice. Make the chickens take on some chores, you feed and house them its time for them to work. 1 egg a day dont cut it!
yippiechickie.gif

Back
Top Bottom