Mice in the duck pen

RJKnott

Songster
Mar 25, 2020
So found a mouse in my duck pen this morning. Poor lil guy had tried to squeeze through the hardware cloth on one of the du k coops and got stuck and had died

got it out but does anyone have a good method of keeping mice out of their duck houses at night?

So found a mouse in my duck pen this morning. Poor lil guy had tried to squeeze through the hardware cloth on one of the du k coops and got stuck and had died

got it out but does anyone have a good method of keeping mice out of their duck houses at night?
There should be no gaps anywhere larger than 1/2". Go out and really look at the joints in your HW cloth and apron if you have one. If you find a gap, stuff it with stainless steel wool then cover that with a rock or something to keep the ducks away from it. That is what I did in my chicken run to block up the gaps between the predator aprons where mice were getting in.

bucket trap em, just a bit of water in the bottom, I bait the roller with peanut butter, have heard of other stuff. nothing poisonous, nothing like a snap trap that could injure a duck, heave the carcasses in the woods or flush them down the toilet. I am up to 60+ since December around this place and in various outbuildings. the cats only seem interested in moles and chipmunks
they are nasty, destructive little disease spreading vermin.

There should be no gaps anywhere larger than 1/2". Go out and really look at the joints in your HW cloth and apron if you have one. If you find a gap, stuff it with stainless steel wool then cover that with a rock or something to keep the ducks away from it. That is what I did in my chicken run to block up the gaps between the predator aprons where mice were getting in.
Yeah I went around already and have been plugging any gaps I find

I use the tomcat spray that repels them. Now that we haven't had to keep anyone in the coop for storms the food isn't there. That always makes it hard to keep mice away. I have them eat only in the yard. All open food goes on a metal can with lid. So far so good.

What a coincidence! A couple hours ago I watched our ducks go all serengeti on a mouse, fighting over it, tearing it up and eating it. A silver appleyard, a roeun and a pekin were involved. I had read about this on here somewhere and now i've seen it...

Back
Top Bottom