Michigan Hatchers! What'cha got cookin?

Yep!!! All mine. Was getting 30ish eggs a day for some time. Even was taking dozens to work for everyone. The girls throttled back after 5 weeks of heavy laying and now their turning broody! Got about 15 broodies and numbers are growing. Only getting 12-15 eggs a day now.
Got to love bantams ;)

I've had my chickens for almost three years, and have had only one broody. You know her actually, Luna, my mottled cochin bantam :).

But speaking of eggs, I did find one yesterday. Unfertile, even though I've
had my rooster since October lol.

I'm not sure I should be doing this, so am asking for input. My little black silkie went broody and is sitting faithfully on some wooden eggs. It is very cold here, as you Mich peeps know, and I'm toying with giving her a handful of eggs of some hens that I'd really like to hatch. My broody silkie is in a very protected spot, but not heated. Has anyone had experience with hatching from a broody in the dead of winter? I'm more concerned with the babies that do hatch, than if these eggs hatch. Should I let her? Also she is a proven mama and raised babies last June.

Yep ur right I do know Luna;) very pretty gal!!!

As for the broody silkie hen, I would pass and wait till its warner. She will go broody again. I have 4 broody silkie hens and 14 broody Cochin's and all of the are sitting on nothing!!!
However my bator is full... Lol

As for the broody silkie hen, I would pass and wait till its warner. She will go broody again. I have 4 broody silkie hens and 14 broody Cochin's and all of the are sitting on nothing!!!
However my bator is full... Lol[/quote]

Thanks, Mindy. You are absolutely right. I actually came to my senses today and realized that I need to be patient and wait for spring. I have yet to get an incubator, which I've been thinking about, but the other side is taking care of more things (babies) over the winter when I have enough going keeping what I have happy and healthy and fed.

Back
Top Bottom