Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Nice coop Nova. How many coops do you have now? Seems like you're always building something. I don't know about you all but I'm thinking this is going to be a good year for everything (unlike last year). Remember the non-apple crop. I depend on laying up at least a few bushel for my goats, rabbits, and chickens for all winter. My trees were pruned and are ready for some budding! Grapes too, freeze them for the ducks. All this helps offset feed cost which is crazy, right? Yeah, I think mother nature is cooperating again. Hey, even the maple syrup was a boom for me this year. I have so much they'll probably arrest me as a horder, ha ha. And, for those with vested interest, the FG mama kept at least 7 in her nest so I'm sure there's a boy in there. And the NZ/CA mama has a huge brood with FG daddy so that's good too. Meaties off to freezer camp next week. Oh yeah, deer population looks real strong here, good deal considering the losses a few areas took last year. Yesterday's breakfast - bacon wrapped venison fillets with eggs - yum!

Well everyone is in their new spaces and seems to be getting along nicely. First time in months I haven't had chicks in the house. I keep ducking into my office to check on them before I remember the last babies are in the garage with the silkie and bb. Quiet. Maybe I can get some work done now! Happy Sunday all. Have a great day :)

love the nesting box, I need a couple more Mine is only a 3 seater
D.gif

I'm working on more hopefully today - I've got several pushy Isa's that try to bully the other hens out of the boxes. I have some old milk/bottle crates - I'm working with ideas to make them into extra nesting boxes . . .
The plastic is only around the run. It has chicken wire underneath. The chooks have pecked a few holes in it but that just improves the ventilation, lol. Most of that coop was built with extra materials laying around mine and my (old) neighbor's yards. The roof is the steel siding left over from my pole building. It was just sitting in a back field for years. My neighbor had a 100+ year old barn that was torn down (that's why the wood for nest boxes look so aged already) so he had some scraps from that. My parents had a really old wooden picnic table that was pretty much falling apart (that became the platform the nest boxes are on). I did buy siding and the top ridge thing-y. I also bought new wood for the trusses and a few other bits. We used landscaping timbers for the posts (because they were cheap). It turned out decent enough. I may have to put a pen around it this year to keep my chooks out of the neighbors yards on days I'm working. They will only be able to free-range on days I'm home and can keep an eye on them
sad.png
. Old neighbor loved my chickens and ducks; new neighbors . . . not so much. They even turned down the eggs I took over to them.
idunno.gif

Nice coop Nova. How many coops do you have now? Seems like you're always building something. I don't know about you all but I'm thinking this is going to be a good year for everything (unlike last year). Remember the non-apple crop. I depend on laying up at least a few bushel for my goats, rabbits, and chickens for all winter. My trees were pruned and are ready for some budding! Grapes too, freeze them for the ducks. All this helps offset feed cost which is crazy, right? Yeah, I think mother nature is cooperating again. Hey, even the maple syrup was a boom for me this year. I have so much they'll probably arrest me as a horder, ha ha. And, for those with vested interest, the FG mama kept at least 7 in her nest so I'm sure there's a boy in there. And the NZ/CA mama has a huge brood with FG daddy so that's good too. Meaties off to freezer camp next week. Oh yeah, deer population looks real strong here, good deal considering the losses a few areas took last year. Yesterday's breakfast - bacon wrapped venison fillets with eggs - yum!

I have always wanted to tap our maple tree but thought with only one large sugar maple it wasn't worth it. Hope I am not wrong :( Deer population strong?!?! I have actually seen HERDS of deer this year driving back and forth between Taylor and Grayling. I can't remember seeing so many before in my life. Is there any place I can go that will tell me what all the abbreviations are? Fg EE NZ CA YIKES:)

I'm working on more hopefully today - I've got several pushy Isa's that try to bully the other hens out of the boxes. I have some old milk/bottle crates - I'm working with ideas to make them into extra nesting boxes . . .
The plastic is only around the run. It has chicken wire underneath. The chooks have pecked a few holes in it but that just improves the ventilation, lol. Most of that coop was built with extra materials laying around mine and my (old) neighbor's yards. The roof is the steel siding left over from my pole building. It was just sitting in a back field for years. My neighbor had a 100+ year old barn that was torn down (that's why the wood for nest boxes look so aged already) so he had some scraps from that. My parents had a really old wooden picnic table that was pretty much falling apart (that became the platform the nest boxes are on). I did buy siding and the top ridge thing-y. I also bought new wood for the trusses and a few other bits. We used landscaping timbers for the posts (because they were cheap). It turned out decent enough. I may have to put a pen around it this year to keep my chooks out of the neighbors yards on days I'm working. They will only be able to free-range on days I'm home and can keep an eye on them :( . Old neighbor loved my chickens and ducks; new neighbors . . . not so much. They even turned down the eggs I took over to them. :idunno

That's a bummer. I've never had any one turn down eggs. My neighbor has chickens and hers visit me and mine visit her. We're pretty lucky. Maybe they'll come around. Most people who don't like chickens had bad experiences with them. My niece was afraid of chickens because of a bad experience until she met mine. All better now. A future crazy chicken lady :)

That's a bummer. I've never had any one turn down eggs. My neighbor has chickens and hers visit me and mine visit her. We're pretty lucky. Maybe they'll come around. Most people who don't like chickens had bad experiences with them. My niece was afraid of chickens because of a bad experience until she met mine. All better now. A future crazy chicken lady
smile.png
The neighbor who turned me in refused eggs. So does the guy across the street who seems to only eat pizza.
The prosecutor worked on his uncle's farm as a kid and hates all animals.
It amazes me that people hold so tightly to their ignorance and hatreds.

The neighbor who turned me in refused eggs.  So does the guy across the street who seems to only eat pizza.
The prosecutor worked on his uncle's farm as a kid and hates all animals.
It amazes me that people hold so tightly to their ignorance and hatreds.

It's amazing isn't it? It must take a lot of energy to have that much hate. It's not doing them any good. Raz, I'm so appreciative for what you are doing. I can't say I would have been as strong and persistent as you. Your fighting for soooo much more than simply keeping chickens. Our rights to grow our own food are on the line. So thank you so much for fighting.

5 hens a-layin.

like it
Who uses the water nipples? I have one coming out of the top of a coke bottle. It absolutely does not leak, yet the bottom of my brooder is soaked. How do you handle that? I have watched my birds drink and always, some gets shook off onto the ground.

My second question of the day is, can we be sure my girls are girls? I posted pics but no one said anything. Here they are again. I'd like opinions please! Also please comment about the breed. I think they are ISA Browns. They were labeled red pullets from TSC, which are supplied by Townline. They all look exactly alike. So much so that I have not named them because only one has enough color difference to tell them apart!

my girls look the same, i think they were hatched around march 18
awwwww what a cutie pie!! All white!
I have a little furry guest today. We had a small dog show up. I couldn't leave her cause I didn't want to risk her life with my dogs and my livestock either so. So, once I convinced her to come to me and got a leash on her, she spent the day in the garage. She rolled in something nasty so she reeked. I posted on FB and craigslist and hope someone claims her. If I still have her Monday, I'll run her up to the vet for a scan. She is very sweet. Good about getting a bath and nail trim, I wanted to do a full bug inspection before she could come inside, though, she still smells a bit, and might get another bath tomorrow! PeeeuuuuuuuuU
sickbyc.gif
. I took her for a walk along the road to see if she wanted to go to any of the houses.... and she showed no interest.. just wanted to go back to my place!! LOL! She is laying on the floor next to me and being a good girl. If I can't find anyone to claim her I'll see if my Sis wants her.

I am Pea free today... glad they are going to a good home!
Congrats on the pea free

take her to the vet office to see if she was microchipped.. maybe that will help. never know.

Well everyone is in their new spaces and seems to be getting along nicely. First time in months I haven't had chicks in the house. I keep ducking into my office to check on them before I remember the last babies are in the garage with the silkie and bb. Quiet. Maybe I can get some work done now! Happy Sunday all. Have a great day
smile.png
feels good doesnt it, i put my chicks out 3 days ago.. they are doing great.. wont be long before i have fuzzies again. i went into lockdown yesturday. so will have more on tuesday..

Back
Top Bottom