Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

The loss of any pet is difficult, but the loss of a dog I think is the hardest. Like no other, a dog gives you there love unconditionally. It oft times seems that their only goal is pleasing us. A few years ago I was forced to put down a JRT that we had for 11 years. Now my remaining dog is 17 years old and suffering from CCD. As long as she isn't in pain I will deal with her issues. Seems like the only right thing to do after so many years of devotion.

This was posted on the Managing your Chickens thread -

My husbands's daughter has neighbors with 20 chickens. Last night they worried about the chickens being cold, so they placed a space heater in the coop. The coop burned to the ground and every chicken died in the fire. Please think carefully about heating in areas with animals. There are worse things than cold chickens. RIP chickens.

sad.png

If I did it right, it's Christmas singing chickens. Nice having a couple warm days, chickens were running all over yesterday. The pond is still froze, but got the lil blue pool out n filled for the ducks, threw some mealworms in and they were very happy. Made 4 doz soft molasses cookies, smelled sooo good. Enjoy another warm day!!!!

Hi group,
Now that official charges are pending, and PPOs can begin I feel safer sharing my story.
Last month the commissioner who turned me in to the township for an ordinance violation (23 chickens on 50+ acres) where we are zoned residential and not allowed to own any farm animals trespassed on our property, vandalized it, shot a shotgun on our property in the direction of my husband, and ranted about our chickens. He also sent his dogs after my husband, in front of our home.
We called the police, and he now has 5 criminal charges pending against him that have all been okayed by the prosecutor.
We are still fighting the township which is standing behind there commissioner.

I read an earlier post on RTF thread about Gov Snyder and the Farm Bureau conference.
Guys, now is our time to shine! The media is not informing the public about us "back yard farmers" they are portraying us as the crazies who shouldn't keep chickens unless we are big farmers. I will be contacting Snyders office today, and I hope you will too. These townships are way overstepping!
As many of you know, I can keep my chickens in my subdivision (many of my neighbors do it) the township welcomes chickens! But my other house on over 50 acres, that township doesn't allow any farm animals.
I hope there is power in numbers, and all of us Michigan folks can chime in to make some waves!
Thanks all!!!

@BobBry @Opa

I'm sorry for your loss. I'm nearing that stage with my Old Dog myself. 15 yrs in Jan. he has Degenerative Myelopathy and his expiration date is near.

Out in the trees, dirt on our knees
We laid him down forever
And on that hill there it was still
As in the ever after

He lays his rest, we knew it best
To lay him down so gently
And now he sleeps where moss does creep
And no more is he with me

The birds did cry, and so did I
To think of life so lonely
And in their song, I heard it long
What sadness, and what beauty

Your friend is gone, but you live on
In life you loved him fully
Now little streams and forests dream
And all is made more holy
- "The Dog Song 2" by The BeGoodTanyas.

Here's mine:

I love Pixars! I wish I could have gotten into that field. How you feeling today Sam?

Bob, so sorry about your pup. It sounds like she was a lucky dog to have you as her family.
hugs.gif
I hope you are doing ok.
We've got 2, 13 yr old mastiffs that will be leaving us soon as well.

Regarding my earlier comment... I never said we shouldn't show kindness, can't express anger or sorrow or take issues with what people do or say......just that you do have control over how other people make you feel about yourself.

Good reminder 1mutt, there are lots of new people on here that could use the info. About 20 yrs ago when I tried chickens for the first time I had a small A frame coop. I put a heat lamp up and the birds knocked it down. Luckily the wood below where the lamp was hung, was wet. The bulb burned a perfect 6" hole through the 1/2 plywood. After that I won't use a lamp in with the birds again. (except for raising chicks in a brood box).

There are already lots of articles, but this one..one comment in there had me kinda laughing and yet not..so funny!
"Lafayette crews douse fire that consumed chicken coop

By Joe Rubino Camera Staff Writer
Posted: 12/03/2013 10:40:33 PM MST | Updated: a day ago

Lafayette fire crews Tuesday night contained and were working to extinguish a fire that fully engulfed a chicken coop on a property at 9780 Isabelle Road, officials say.
Emergency crews were dispatched to the property, just east of the intersection of 95th Street and Isabelle Road, shortly after 9:30 p.m.

According to Sgt. Mike Linden, of the Boulder County Sheriff's Office, the coop housed 70 chickens and was heated by a gas heater that is being eyed as the potential cause of the fire, though an investigation into the incident was still ongoing Tuesday night.

Investigators do not suspect foul play.
idunno.gif

The building, which Linden described as very old, was totally lost to the fire. Some of the chickens survived, he said. A nearby power pole also was touched by flames but was not severely damaged, Linden said. Xcel Energy crews responded to the scene to assess the damage, he said. As of 10:30 p.m., crews remained on the scene mopping up what was left of the fire, Linden said."

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom