Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

It's confession time.

First, I ivermectined my chickens tonight - egg production was down and I wanted to get it done. I had visions of me chasing chickens around trying to catch them, so I decided to wait until they were roosting and anticipated chasing at least half of them. Was I ever wrong! They all sat on their perches while I put the drops on them. Was easy as pie!

Now for my confession. I always think of them in their groups - my first group of older plus the adult roos, the group from this February, then the Easter group, plus the few that I have added here an there. Well, while they were sleeping I actually counted and - gasp! - I am at 50! Yikes! Only my first group of 12 is laying right now, but when the rest start laying, well, I'd better get my little egg stand up in a hurry!

anyone ever have a low spike of around 96 for some of their eggs? it's day 1 and i had it drop for a little bit and I've also hit 103-104 for very small periods of time. Think some of the embryos have died from it?

Anyone have problems with earwigs in the coop? DH and I didn't get home until late, late tonight to shut the coop door (and its been raining all day). We came home to earwigs all on the ramp and at the entrance of the coop. Can they hurt the ladies?

I did a little research for you and here's what I came up with. Plenty of others on BYC have had the same thoughts, shown in this thread as well as here. Here's an extra from outside sources. Seems like to me the hens love them and they will provide nutrients for your hens. So, maybe it's more of a pro than a con! Also, they seem to be attracted to wet places, which makes a lot of sense considering all the rain we had today. If, for some reason, your hens aren't interested in eating them, methods of getting rid of earwigs can be found here.

I did a little research for you and here's what I came up with. Plenty of others on BYC have had the same thoughts, shown in this thread as well as here. Here's an extra from outside sources. Seems like to me the hens love them and they will provide nutrients for your hens. So, maybe it's more of a pro than a con! Also, they seem to be attracted to wet places, which makes a lot of sense considering all the rain we had today. If, for some reason, your hens aren't interested in eating them, methods of getting rid of earwigs can be found here.

Thank you so much for putting my mind at ease. They give me the creepy crawlies, but I hope the girls like them as a morning snack!

Back
Top Bottom