Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Like Maah I feel there is more to the story, however, on the surface, it does not surprise me at all - especially in Michigan. Our families live mainly in New England. I swear there is less concern over farming out there than here. My mom sends me articles all the time that are more positive than the negative ones we seem to see around here. Anyway no one is immune. No place you live will ever be immune. Best to hope for the best I think. Off topic a little but - This week I showed animals at a local nursing home for their version of "county fair". The "residents" , mostly in their 60's-90's, all grew up on farms. They loved, and recognized, what I provided. Even know the difference between turkey poults and chicken chicks the same age of 5 days old. Anyway, when the staffers (younger) came around and asked about the Pekins I said they were raised primarily for meat, or eggs. I got a few "yuks" and "gross". Plus "how can you stand the smell"? My point being that small farming, recognizing that meat does not grow on trees (or come only in the form of McNuggets) is dwindling. At some point with the influx of people that have zero interest in those that do raise food will outnumber those that do. These same non-interested people will usually target, file complaints, and voila the cops show up to do their job (not their fault). Off to court and since you are the minority you may as well find a new place to hang your shingle.

It's been a while since I've been on here. Welcome to all the new members!

All the rabbits are so adorable. I wish I could have a few. But I'm allergic so I just enjoy all the pics.
Fuzzy your new coop looks awesome!
Silly chicken your art is awesome!
Raz I wish you luck with the latest from the city and judge. It's hard to believe they think they can continue to get away with this treatment.

SpidersHuman so sorry for your loss! If you put down those big cement patio blocks in front of and under the gates predators can't dig under them and the predators don't go that far back to dig. You got the silkie roos from me at Chicken stock. They were awesome. :hugs

Yes. It makes me angry initially & then leaves me with a feeling of hopelessness & confusion. I have a nagging feeling that there's more to the story though. There always is.
Like Maah I feel there is more to the story, however, on the surface, it does not surprise me at all - especially in Michigan. My point being that small farming, recognizing that meat does not grow on trees (or come only in the form of McNuggets) is dwindling. At some point with the influx of people that have zero interest in those that do raise food will outnumber those that do. These same non-interested people will usually target, file complaints, and voila the cops show up to do their job (not their fault). Off to court and since you are the minority you may as well find a new place to hang your shingle.
Raz I wish you luck with the latest from the city and judge. It's hard to believe they think they can continue to get away with this treatment.
There is more to the story but you won't find it on any main stream media outlets. MDARD over stepped its authority by stopping and stealing product that did not belong to them. The food destroyed was owned by the herd-share owners. The truck is merely a delivery vessel. Had there been an actual crime why was there no police officer there? Not that that is any guarantee that rights are not stepped on.

Just a reminder that the MiDNR went on to farms and "made" farmers kill their swine. That was what triggered the Baker case and the other 3 in the UP. Note that MiDNR is under the MDARD chain of command.

It is an aggravating and frustrating situation. Individual rights are being destroyed daily often by nothing more than a phone call from a busy-body neighbor.
I've been living this nonsense for more than 3 years now and there is no end in sight.
I just got notice that I have yet another hearing scheduled for August 12.

Hi friends, I am looking for a chicken butcher / processor in the Traverse City area. In essence, I'm looking for a butcher whom I can bring my live cockerels to, and they can dispatch and process them for me. Also, what is the cost? I'm looking and hoping for less than $2 per bird, but don't know figures. Any suggestions helpful. I do not have the spaces, resources to do it here at home.

Anyone in the GR area happen to have some young chicks (a week old or less)? None of ours made it through the hatch and I dont want our mama hen to have to sit for 21 days again, she's already lost so much weight. I only need two, but will take more. 

Also, I have a gorgeous blue copper marans rooster available if anyone needs one. He is 5 months old and gorgeous. 

we just locked down eggs last night if you are interested in some hatching this weekend? PM if interested . We got the 4 buff chantecler chicks from you.

And some happy news...
Wilma, the wellie just presented herself for groping. Just 23 weeks to POL. Also a second BA waited patiently for a rub while 3 other hens are nesting.
I'm expecting an increase in production.
fl.gif

And some happy news...
Wilma, the wellie just presented herself for groping. Just 23 weeks to POL. Also a second BA waited patiently for a rub while 3 other hens are nesting.
I'm expecting an increase in production.
fl.gif

You've got a Wilma the Wellie too?!?! Is she 23 weeks old?

My girl Wilma(now 23 weeks old) has been submitting for several weeks now......
....to Woody the Wellie who I discovered this week is getting the job done, proven within the first egg from my Olive egger Henny.

There is more to the story but you won't find it on any main stream media outlets. MDARD over stepped its authority by stopping and stealing product that did not belong to them. The food destroyed was owned by the herd-share owners. The truck is merely a delivery vessel. Had there been an actual crime why was there no police officer there? Not that that is any guarantee that rights are not stepped on.

Just a reminder that the MiDNR went on to farms and "made" farmers kill their swine. That was what triggered the Baker case and the other 3 in the UP. Note that MiDNR is under the MDARD chain of command.

It is an aggravating and frustrating situation. Individual rights are being destroyed daily often by nothing more than a phone call from a busy-body neighbor.
I've been living this nonsense for more than 3 years now and there is no end in sight.
I just got notice that I have yet another hearing scheduled for August 12.
Ya know if they want you gone so bad, maybe they should offer to buy you out
somad.gif

neighbor is having a moving sale, lots of dog crates and dog houses, different sizes sm. to x large, fishing nets that make great chicken nets

Back
Top Bottom