Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

My young BOs came out for a little bit while I was trying to get the snow thrower started. I think the swearing chased them back inside.

Didn't even bother to open the door up for my girls today. Just shoveled out a path to the girls a couple of times. And tomorrow I get to plow out the driveway in the morning before going to work.

Also, for future reference, if anybody else here comes over to watch my girls for a bit. Be sure to have the hood of your jacket up before you duck in under the plastic curtain to collect eggs so that you don't have snow slide down off of it and go down the back of your neck. Oh **** that's cold!!

Hi everyone! Been super busy and haven't logged on in awhile.

I have a duck situation. My drake is dead this morning, probably due to exposure because they have all decided since winter got here that the coop isn't cool to go inside of. UGH!

I have 3 hens? ducks? females anyhow, and they need to go into a different coop asap. They can either go in my big chicken coop with about 8 chickens (there's no drake-mating-chickens issue), or they can go in what was formerly the silkie coop, which is about 3x9. I feel like that's kind of small, but might work for 4 months? They will be cooped for the winter, and i know it'll be a mess indoors but i literally do not have another option since their current setup is obviously not working out. Help?

Hi Glad. Most ducks prefer being outside to in a coop, and seem to thrive there. Sounds like something was maybe wrong with your drake - the cold is not nearly enough for exposure issues with ducks. If so, your ducks are fine outside. Sorry you lost him.

Ducks in the coop in the winter cause issues for the hens, they make a big wet mess and endanger the chickens' health.

Snow! Beautiful snow! We love the cold damp cloudy snowy weather, right? That's why we all live in Michigan! Keeping that positive attitude, and so ready for spring! Florida looks really good right now, but never mind. Mary
Your post was flagged by the administrators for using foul language.

Hi everyone! Yep snow is here and it sucks! Spent all weekend shoveling path to coops and roofs. I just kept repeating 'I love my chickens......I love my chuckens'. Spent $ & too much time fixing snow blower that Im sure rivals me in age and the darn thing wouldn't start when I needed it, but It was running great before I brought it home. all new Ignition components, cleaned the carb and fuel tank, cleaned valves and adjusted. I probably rattled something loose on the way home now I have to recheck everything I did to it. Gotta love points and condenser Ign systems. Ugh! Good thing shovels don't need anything more than two hands to operate lol

Hi everyone! Been super busy and haven't logged on in awhile.

I have a duck situation. My drake is dead this morning, probably due to exposure because they have all decided since winter got here that the coop isn't cool to go inside of. UGH!

I have 3 hens? ducks? females anyhow, and they need to go into a different coop asap. They can either go in my big chicken coop with about 8 chickens (there's no drake-mating-chickens issue), or they can go in what was formerly the silkie coop, which is about 3x9. I feel like that's kind of small, but might work for 4 months? They will be cooped for the winter, and i know it'll be a mess indoors but i literally do not have another option since their current setup is obviously not working out. Help?

My ducks have always thrived in the snow and live in a kind of squat dog-house style pen. Never had a problem. We just lock them in at night and usually they want to stay in the snow!

Back
Top Bottom