Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Just the one they sell at FF&H - remember I am in Zeeland...

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 1
Hello everyone!

I am fairly new to Backyardchickens.com. I've only had my own chickens for almost a year and a half, and they are just getting ready for their second Winter. So, as the weather became nicer earlier this year, they've taken interest to sleeping in the run. We put a roost in there for them, and the run is covered, so they are pretty well protected.

My concern is that as it gets colder now, are they going to know to go inside the coop where they can stay warm? I don't want to greet them one morning and find they are frozen stiff. :(

I've attached pictures of the current setup. We just wrapped the run in 6 mil plastic to get ready for the colder temperatures. It's supposed to drop down to the 40s this week. One of our chickens has moved to the coop, but the rest are staying outside.

Should I remove the roost in the run, or trust that they know what's good for them?

Thanks in advance!!

20171019_190233.jpg
20171019_190208.jpg

Ok thanks for the pic! I was looking for the other style with horizontal nipples.
Nipples are a pain in the butt to keep from freezing. I just built a table out of a pallet and placed the waterer and food up on there to keep them from kicking up straw into it all the time.
Hello everyone!

I am fairly new to Backyardchickens.com. I've only had my own chickens for almost a year and a half, and they are just getting ready for their second Winter. So, as the weather became nicer earlier this year, they've taken interest to sleeping in the run. We put a roost in there for them, and the run is covered, so they are pretty well protected.

My concern is that as it gets colder now, are they going to know to go inside the coop where they can stay warm? I don't want to greet them one morning and find they are frozen stiff. :(

I've attached pictures of the current setup. We just wrapped the run in 6 mil plastic to get ready for the colder temperatures. It's supposed to drop down to the 40s this week. One of our chickens has moved to the coop, but the rest are staying outside.

Should I remove the roost in the run, or trust that they know what's good for them?

Thanks in advance!!

View attachment 1164747 View attachment 1164748
Well, with your coop and your run there in that corner of your house, your coop should be pretty well protected from the wind, which is your main enemy when it comes to your chickens loosing their thermal energy. Which way do your prevailing winds come from???

Back
Top Bottom